Chapter 13

***
After the fruitful day at town, the Lu household members got up full of energy and excitement.

Even Jin Ruishi, the little girl, got up early and went to play with the hens. The birds cackled a lot and made a lot of noise. The older people did not stop the little girl and her new playmates, it was a nice change to wake up to such liveliness for once.

Lu Chen got up early too to go to work, but before leaving he instructed everyone to let his wife rest. He could clearly see from her pained expression the previous day that Chang Ying had strained herself carried those baskets. It was best to let her sleep more and bear less pain.

Grandpa Lu got to work building the low wooden fence for a chicken coop* while humming an old, joyful tune. Mo Yue checked on the hens and fed them with some leftover grains and such. She found two eggs besides the hens as she raised them up and exclaimed happily.

The hens were moved around a lot the previous day so Mo Yue the birds should still be acclimating to the new environment. She did not except to see two eggs. She happily cleaned the eggs and kept them in a bowl in the kitchen.

When Chang Ying woke up, it was already bright outside. Mo Yue looked her daughter-in-law over and placed a hand on Chang Ying's forehead to check her temperature.

Chang Ying's head was a bit warm and her countnance was very dull. Her body moved slowly like soft noodles without an ounce of energy. Mo Yue gave her some radish pancakes and a bowl of the delicious medicinal soup and sent her back to bed to rest.

Chang Ying obediently followed her instructions, already used to Mo Yue's henpecking and feeling too weak to protest. After she ate, she slowly washed up for the day before she went back to bed.

Surprisingly, Chang Ying fell asleep again not long after she laid down.

When she woke up again, it was already well into the afternoon. Her body felt lift and rejuvenated, and she felt almost no pain from her hand anymore.

She hurriedly got up, straightened her clothes and hair a bit, then hurried outside. She could hear so much bustling in the yard, some people must have come back.

She first ran into Lu Ching. The teenager was sitting on the ground and cracking nuts with a stone. When he saw her, he raised his brows slightly and looked at her arm. The gruffly mumbled a greeting before he continued his movement of cracking nuts without an additional word.

Chang Ying clicked her tongue softly. This boy, he was always a bit aloof. Maybe it was because he was always ill.

Speaking of, yesterday was the first time she had seen the family laughing about a matter considering this sickly second son. It was usually solemn and deep when it came to him, often about his recurring illness or money to buy more medicine. The most lighthearted moment the family had when it came to Lu Ching was his academic results.

So the previous night was a touching moment. Last night, the family had laughed about something concerning Lu Ching, and the teenager's reactions were a little cute and definitely the most childish Chang Ying had seen of him since she joined the family.

She walked up to him and peered at what he was doing. "Why are you cracking the nuts and smashing them into such tiny pieces? Can you still eat those?"

Chang Ying turned his head in her direction but his gaze didn't meet her eyes. "It's not for me, it is for the chicken. Grandpa said they eat this too." He looked down immediately.

"I see. So you like the hens. Did grandpa teach you how to pick them up now?" Chang Ying asked in a teasing tone.

Lu Ching bit his lips and snorted. "Big brother is at the back, why don't you go and meet him."