Chapter 9.2

They turned and saw Lu Chen standing by the side. A light sheen of sweat across his forehead, a machete in his hand, a small furrow in his brows. His thin faded tunic & trousers seed to billow slightly from a fantasm wind. His face was like a handsome immortal unmarred by the blemishes if this world.

Lu Chen slightly bent his lips in a scowl. His fox eyes narrowing in displeasure as he swept his eyes over the scene in front of him.

A shriek broke the ambience as an old woman threw herself at Lu Chen screaming, "Lu Chen pay me my son's compensation!"

Lu Chen sighed and raised his hand holding the machete.

Immediately, Shu's mother skidded back a few metres away from him. Lu Chen naturally rested the machete on his shoulder as if it was his original intention. The onlookers politely cleared out of his way and Lu Chen calmly walked to his family gate. .

"Mother, I am back." Lu Chen greeted. Mo Yue simply nodded in acknowledgement and went back inside with the dung bucket.

Lu Chen shifted his eyes and looked at Chang Ying.

His sharp, narrow eyes stared at his wife for a few seconds then he smiled. "Wife, I am back."

Chang Ying coughed and diverted her eyes. She felt her the temperature around her get a little warmer. "Welcome home."

"How are you doing? Are you feeling any pain?"

Chang Ying cleared her throat a few times. Her throat suddenly felt a little heavy and itchy. Yesterday, she was a little dizzy and excited from the blood loss and concern about clearing her reputation. She hadn't had time and space to face him like this. Before her rebirth, she was clear about things. No matter how many years went by, her single regret was her unresolved marriage with Lu Chen. But now that he was in front of her, showing concern for her, she felt a little uneasy and a little awkward. She was unsure of what to say first.

"I...It's better this morning." She still didn't look at him.

Lu Chen stepped closer to her, and only stopped when he was in her personal space. His body just a few inches from hers.

He raised his hand to her face slowly and crooked up her chin. His thin, pink lips curled with mirth as he said, "I thought my wife would jump into my arms and give me a hug like in the movies."

Chang Ying felt her cheeks warm slightly. She had forgotten all about that! Chang Ying really felt like slapping her younger self, so embarrassing, ah. While she was dating Lu Chen, she chattered endlessly about the bold Hong Kong romance movies she had watched. Her ditzy younger self babbled about doing all those small, romantic gestures once they married.

Morning kiss before leaving the house.

Share an umbrella under the rain.

Hug when her hubby gets home.

Long, romantic evening strolls.

Dance to radio music on their days off.

She shuddered as she suddenly remembered a few of those things she had wished for. How was she to know that her quiet, aloof boyfriend was keeping record about such nonsense? She thought he was not even listening to such stuff, he always had a poker face during their dates.

Chang Ying's eyes darted away from his alluring face quickly. She looked around and saw the crowd of villagers, watching them, almost drooling, like they were seeing a romantic soap opera.

"Lu Chen, we are in public. People are watching."

Lu Chen watched as a faint warm hue coloured her face and her body tightened up as she looked around, distressed. His sharp ends of his elegant, tapered eyes edged up as his eyes burned with mirth.