Chapter Fourteen

My anger dissipates, as does my flaming fur the further I run. The sun begins to rise as I approach the border. Julian's sandy blonde wolf spots me and halts, eyes wide.

'Alpha, you're three hours late. Jocelyn just implemented Protocol Five about ten minutes ago.'

I groan, and my nostrils flare in annoyance. Opening up to the pack link, I sense the unease and am quick to disperse it.

'Disregard Protocol Five. False alarm.'

Hundreds of relieved voices respond in unison 'Yes, alpha.'

Nodding my head at Julian, I head toward the packhouse and stop just shy of the stairs. Fighting the need to collapse from sheer exhaustion, I distract myself by admiring the packhouse's beauty with its white window sills perfectly contrasting the dark red bricks. With everything that's happened in the last twenty-four hours, I'm shocked I haven't had a nervous breakdown.

The door opens and Fallon leans against it as she ties her brown hair into a ponytail. "Well, you look like hell."

I shift back and she gasps as she notices my healing wounds. "You have no idea." I grunt out.

The sound of heavy footsteps thunder down the inside stairwell as Nick comes into view. His stunning brown eyes study me from head to toe, lingering on my wounds. In two large strides, he pulls me into his arms and my tension deflates in a matter of seconds. I ignore the curious looks of a few pack members and hug him back. He tenses for a moment at my reaction. No doubt he expected me to push him away, and under normal circumstances, I would have. But after everything I've been through in the past day a friend is very much needed.

He caresses my hair and plants a sweet kiss on top of my head "I'm so glad you're okay. I went against doctor's orders and raced here the moment Protocol Five was activated."

I nod and pull away to study him. The effects of the silver took a huge toll on his body. "It's alright Nick. I'll deal with her later, right now you need to rest. Any other wolf would have died in an instant with that much silver in their system. You almost did."

He studies me with a curious expression before grabbing my hand and pulling me inside. Fallon smirks and I roll my eyes. He leads me into my bedroom and into the ensuite. He turns on the shower while removing his clothes. Watching the muscles on his back flex, I run my hand down his warm skin and thank the Moon Goddess he's still alive.

Pulling me into the shower with him, I sigh as the warm water eases my aching muscles. Nick pushes my hair away from my face as he gazes into my eyes. He closes the distance at an agonizing pace but when his soft lips meet mine it's worth the wait.

The kiss is slow and passionate. A stark contrast from our usual steamy lustful ones. It's nice.

He pulls away to kiss my nose and I smile.

"I was so worried about you. Please don't ever disappear like that again." He whispers as he runs his hands up and down my back. Wrapping my arms around his neck, I hop up and encase my legs around his waist. His hands slide down to hold me in place.

"Nick you worry too much."

"It's my job." He whispers as grinds his growing erection against me. I suck his lip into my mouth and with a groan he pushes me against the glass.

I smirk as he roughly slaps my ass, leaving behind a pleasant sting. Now that's the Nick I know. With hooded eyes, he bends down to suck on my breast. I snake my hand down between us and pull him into me. My eyes roll back as I open up for his throbbing member.

"Damn." He groans as he bites my earlobe and I grind against him. "You feel so good."

Grabbing a fist full of his soft brown hair, my canines extend at the sight of his blood pumping in his veins. "Fuck me, Nick." His sharp intake of breath before he rams into me causes my arousal to reach new heights. The sudden urge to suck his blood is foreign to me. It's not normal. Will I always want to drink his blood?