Chapter Seventeen

"How did you pull me out of the Oasis?" I question as I lean against the bars with my hands in my pockets.

"The Oasis is a place of limitless energy. Think of it as a gift from the universe where in order to access it, your mind has to be free of everything that can block it from the universal mind. That means anything negative like fear, anger, resentment, sadness, loneliness etc."

"That didn't answer her question." Says Clementine in a bored tone from her cell as she examines her chipped black nails.

"So you mean to say that it exists in a different dimension or something?" I question, ignoring her completely.

"Something like that." He says "Since the beginning of time, this place has been highly sought after for its power. Many believed that they could somehow harness its power but none could. Because it's a place of pure raw energy meant only for blissful peace. Throughout the centuries, information about The Oasis grew scarce and practically nonexistent. Unless you're a hunter." He smirks "We have the original notebook of the first creature to ever tap into its energy."

"Jesse." Warns one of his companions. "You mustn't say anything more on the matter. You swore an oath."

"Silence." Jesse snaps before locking eyes with me "Her name is Rose. Rose Umbridge. Your father spent years searching for her notebook in hopes of finding out how to tap into the Oasis's energy. He even got as close as to almost discovering the cave in which she lies. We know he never found her, much less her journal, but her powers are great even as she lies dormant. She has remained untraceable until the time comes when The Flame releases her."

"Wait." I say holding a hand up as I try to make sense of the information "So this Umbridge girl is what is in the cave? The one that you tortured me to try to get her location?"

"Guilty." He grins as he presses his hands against the bars.

"Now will you tell me why you're so incessant on finding her?"

He shrugs "I told you. I want you and your freaks dead. Even among the supernatural you're freaks. Too strong for any of us to kill. That was proven the night they came to set you free. They killed us so fast, like swatting a fly. We need the Umbridge girl to help us kill the hybrids."

"I'm sorry about your friends." I say in earnest.

He sniffs roughly and continues, disregarding my sympathy. "She is so powerful she knew what would happen to your family. She knew that all of the anger and resentment after they died would stop you from entering. So she found you a loophole to get access into the Oasis. The potion that you drank removed the purest part of your soul while leaving the rest inside your body. All I had to do was torture the part of you that was still inside and it called the rest of your soul back to protect you."

"Who is she? What is she?" I ask as I try to fathom why everyone in the world is after her.

"You mean to tell me you let me go on and on about her and you don't even know what she is?" He says in exasperation. When I say nothing he groans before sighing "Okay. Obviously riddles are not your forte. She literally is telling you who she is. 'I am the Key but also the Lock. I am bound to nature while others are not. Strong and fearless, endlessly divine. Evil and wicked as portrayed through time.'"

"Yes yes, I know. I've heard it a million times." I say in irritation "How the hell is that meant to tell me who she is or where she is? That's all she told me. I couldn't tell you her location even if I wanted to."

"You daft wolf!" He all but shouts "She's a witch!"

"But why is she involved? How did she know to help my dad and my pack?" I say as I rub my temples, a migraine beginning to form. "Why does she even care?"