Chapter Thirty One

My soul slams into my body at full speed causing my heart to jolt and my lungs to frantically suck in oxygen. My eyes burst open and confusion overtakes me as I try to remember where I am. My ears are ringing, my head is spinning and I don't understand why my eyesight seems less sharp. Once I get enough oxygen into my brain memories of the last few moments come flooding back.

Nick's tear-filled brown eyes are the first thing I focus on, before feeling my body hum as my wolf calls out to his. His body is shaking from the stress but as I slowly reach out my palm to hold his cheek his trembling stops and he leans into it. He pulls me tight against him and a few tears stroll down his face. "Is this real? Or did I die too?" He whispers as he places his forehead gently against mine.

"This is real baby. I'm here." I reply, voice thick with the deep emotions now slamming around inside of me like an out of control category five hurricane. "I love you." I say with conviction and he looks at me with slight bewilderment.

"Oh now I know I'm dead." He jokes before slowly bringing our lips to meet. The electricity flowing between us like a cool river on a hot summer day. Perfect and very much needed. He pulls away and with a gorgeous pearly white smile and a joyful gleam in his beautiful light brown eyes he says "Alora Lume, I have waited my entire life to hear those words come out of your mouth. And now that they have I can literally say there is nothing else in this world that will ever make me happier than to earn the right to hear those words every day for the rest of my life. I have loved you every day from the moment I laid eyes on you and I will continue to love you, forever."

"Uh, guys? Not that this isn't heartwarming but uh, we have a problem." Says Fallon as the hybrids start to slowly rise. The vampires hiss and the packs lower their upper bodies in preparation to attack. Reece is the first to lunge and Clementine easily backhands him over twenty feet back. This makes everyone freeze. I suddenly feel my insides clench and my lungs shrivel up causing me to gasp for air. Nick immediately searches me, frantically trying to find an answer as to what's happening to me. However, the moment Lucius drops to his knees gasping for air I knew what was going on.

One by one the hybrids drop, gasping desperately for air. I wish the lack of air was the worst of it, but when my blood hardened and my eyes burned painfully I couldn't contain the animalistic scream that flowed out of me. My scream was followed by hundreds of screams. All in agonizing pain.

Lucius shakily reached out for me and once our hands connected the pain lessened. We locked eyes and with great effort we slowly and shakily army crawled towards the others. Screaming with pain and with trembling hands, we grabbed a hold of Josh and Lucinda. With agonizingly slow and painful movements one by one we all joined hands, still writhing in pain. It was extremely hard to watch my grandfather screaming in pain but Reece's screams were the worst of all as he refused to join us. We helplessly watch as his eyes burst into flames and it slowly covers his body. That wasn't part of the deal.

I grunt in pain as the burning intensity in my eyes increases. Our heads snap up simultaneously and we screech out in unison as blood shoots out of our eyes and disappears into the sky.

Lucius and Josh tighten their grip as our heart rates accelerate before returning to normal and our lungs expand. I gasp out in relief and feel my body slump onto the ground in exhaustion.

"What the hell just happened?" Lucius gasps.

"That." I gasp "Was nature restoring its balance."

"Alora, are you okay?" Nick asks as he pulls me up to stand and searches my face. When he pauses and his eyes widen I look at him in confusion. "Your eyes." He whispers.

"What? What is it?" I croak out.

"They're... blue." He says in astonishment while shaking his head "How... what's going on?"