56.

The Trader's Route went around the jagged and white terrains. Established five years after the Demon Prince's death, it was the Demon King's attempt to improve the relationship between their kingdoms. Due to the bias they had toward the opposing kind, it never prospered.

This was the route Chosen Heir Amara had selected to sneak into the Demon Kingdom. Using the same disguising spell Phoebe had used on Wilshire, she had made certain that the two of them- Felicia and herself- had blood-red eyes and Raphael's face looked nothing like his.

Former Demon General Raphael led them, reigning the horses that were attached to the wagon that carried leather, the one product that was popular in the Demon Kingdom.

By daybreak, they reached the borders of the Demon Kingdom.

'This is it,' Raphael whispered as they neared the gates. He gulped as the tall walls over the mountains loomed over them, covered in snow. Tiny flakes floated toward the ground as if to warn them of the storm they were walking into. 

He would be lying if he said that the plan didn't scare him. 

It wasn't that he didn't trust Princess Amara. He was afraid of the gossip. He was sure that the story of his betrayal would have spread like wildfire.

She had told him about their options. If they were successful, it would mean war and if they weren't, it would mean death. None of the options was appealing to him.

The warriors near the gates stopped them. 'State your name and purpose.'

'My name is Rapha and these are my sisters. We are traders and we are returning home.'

Amara resisted the urge to turn away. Any moment now, the demon warrior would step toward them and order them to lift their cowls. She had to be ready but more than that, she had to be confident. The illusion would last as long as she was convinced.

'Tell your sisters to raise their hoods.'

Her heart hammered against her ribs. She drew a deep breath and winced when the cold air seared her insides. Pushing back her hood, she looked at the warrior expecting him to lunge at her.

He didn't.

He looked at Felicia. 

Satisfied, he went around the back of the wagon to check their goods.

'Rough business?' the warrior asked Raphael, assessing the folds of leather that were native to the Demon Kingdom.

Raphael hated small talk. He forced a smile, 'Yes.' He didn't explain. It would be foolish to speak ill of the Dithrai in the presence of two of the most powerful Dithrai women.

'Let them pass!'

He was relieved. The giant gates creaked open. Raphael's heart raced. He was going home. The reality set in and he felt elated.

Once they were deeper into the Demon Kingdom, he looked over his shoulder at Amara, 'We head for the capital now.'

She bobbed her head.

'Are you sure you want to do this?' Felicia asked. 'Even our spies were unable to find the Prince.'

'I am aware of that, Felicia,' Amara said as she raised her head. 'But I will enter the Demon Castle and find him myself.'

'I still think it is unsafe for you to venture forth all by yourself.'

'It will be easier to maintain the spell if it is just me.'

The First Warrior bit the lower lip. It was the risk they had to take to evade the possibility of war.

'The two of you must stay out of sight just as we have planned.'

Raphael assured her, 'Do not worry, Princess. I know a place.'

'I am counting on you, Raphael.'

'I won't let you down, I promise.'