70.

Amara was in her chambers, reading about the various dignitaries who would be present in the War Council. They were men of high status and set a high benchmark for anyone who would succeed them in their position. A few of them had even contributed to Damien's celebrated victories.

She was wearing a red gown that signified power. When she had visited Damien's chambers via a secret tunnel, there was certain darkness that settled on his face. Knowing that it was the effect of the colour, she left soon after that. She wasn't fond of the colour since it reminded him of the Demon Castle.

The discomfort on his face had hastily driven her out of his chambers.

Not long after that, Felicia came to her.

Amara greeted her warmly but did not fail to notice the worry lines marring her face. 

'I met Raphael and Alistair today,' Felicia sat on the couch. Her posture was stiff and she looked paler than usual.

'How are they?'

'They are good,' she shut her eyes. 'Good,' she muttered to herself.

Amara gripped her shoulders and gazed into her eyes. 'Felicia.' She knew why the First Warrior was struggling. The Frisir looked at her, tears pooling in her eyes, 'What is wrong with everyone, Amara? You know what it is, don't you?' She held her hands in hers and pleaded, 'Please, Amara, tell me.'

'I can't, Felicia. It would be cruel.'

'Please!'

'Felicia-'

'I want to know!'

Amara gave up. She closed her eyes, 'Rowan and Jeremiah have been charged with treason.' She heard Felicia's heart shatter like glass. The quiet that followed made Amara uncomfortable. She looked at her.

Felicia was crying. There were no wails or no cries, just soft sniffles. 'That- That can't be true. My father spent his entire life serving the Crown and he wouldn't-' With a shivering hand, she seized Amara's arm, 'What about my son?' Then she screamed, 'What about my baby!'

'He will be fine,' Amara patted her hand reassuringly.

'What am I going to do now? Why? How- how could this happen!'

She held Felicia's shoulders and spoke firmly, 'Pull yourself together. Damien and I know you're innocent. No harm is going to come to you or your son-' then after a pause, 'I mean both of them.'

'But what about Jeremiah and-' Felicia began to cry again. 'They are going to die and I-' Then she wiped her tears and steeled herself. 'I need to speak to Damien. He can do something about this! Please! I need to talk to him!'

'Felicia-'

'My sons were supposed to have a family! They'll be branded as traitors! No one will ever trust them!'

'Felicia, please-'

'They'll be frowned upon! And Alistair! He'll never be accepted now! Never! I've only made things worse for him!'

Amara silently cursed Jeremiah and Rowan for their foolishness. She embraced Felicia and gently patted her back. She had no words to say. How could she assure her that everything was going to be alright? The pain Felicia was going through was something Amara couldn't even begin to fathom.

'What am I going to do! I'm scared, Amara. What kind of lives will my children lead! This has ruined everything! Everything!' Felicia whimpered.

Amara could offer no words to comfort her.

Suddenly, the broken woman ceased to cry. Her lips curled into a nasty snarl. Her hands were drawn into tight fists on either side and blood was oozing out through the depressions. Drop by drop the scarlet liquid stained the mirror-like floor. 'I have to go back!' 

Amara shook her head, disagreeing. 

'But I have to!' 

'What good will that do?'

'I have to know why they did it.' 

'What about Alistair? You can't leave him here.'

'Then I'll take him with me.'

The princess looked at Felicia for a moment before she gave in. 'Alright, you may return and take Alistair with you but give me some time. I will send a letter to the Crown vouching for you and your son.' 

Felicia's face relaxed for a moment and she smiled. She embraced Amara, 'Thank you. Thank you so much. I indebted to you,' she sniffed. 

'None of that, Felicia. You have been so loyal and so understanding. You chose to put your faith in me even when it went against all that you had ever believed in.' She was referring to the time when she had asked Felicia to trust Raphael, 'Rest assured that you have my protection.' 

'I'm grateful.' 

'You can start preparing for your journey back home.' 

'Of course.' Felicia was about to bid Amara farewell but she remembered something. 'One more thing.'

'What is it?'

'Raphael wants to know what you're planning to do next. He says can't stay here forever.' 

'The next time you see him, tell him not to worry. We'll be needing his help again, shortly.'