71.

When Amara entered Damien's chambers, she was exhausted. 

He swallowed the bile that rose up against his throat at the striking colour that she wore. No matter how pleasing she looked in the gown, he couldn't shake it off. However, it was satisfying to know that she had observed his reaction before and had draped a black shawl over her shoulders.

He had been expecting her.

'Why do you look so tired?' He asked. The members of the War Council were selected by him. They were all no-nonsense people who genuinely cared about the Kingdom. He was certain that she would be envigorated after the meeting. 'Were the men difficult?'

As she walked, the swishing of the red gown forced him to look the other way. He was agitated by the effect it had on him. 

The mattress dipped. He felt Amara raise the blanket and slip her legs under it.

Her actions eased him. He smiled as he turned to face her. At first, he was startled at how close she was to him. She had never been this close to him before. He raised his hands to flatten the worry lines on her face but when his fingers touched her skin, he was overwhelmed by how soft she was.

She sighed deeply and grasped his wrist. She raised his free hand to her other cheek so that he was cradling her face.

She cracked a smile. Her green eyes twinkled despite the fatigue.

He laughed softly.

Then he withdrew his hands, much to her displeasure, and wrapped his arm around her shoulders pulling her closer. He planted a kissed on her hair and breathed into it as he asked, 'Will you tell me what's on your mind?'

She leaned into him and pressed her face against his chest. 'The meeting went well. I have found a perfect plan of attack.'

He felt as though she had more to say.

'And what else?'

'I gave Felicia the permission to go to the castle... with Alistair.' She admitted, guiltily.

He pursed his lips. Knowing the overall situation, it was not the best move.

'I know what you're thinking, Damien.'

He looked at her.

She met his gaze. 'I know I was wrong but Felicia was a mess and I thought she deserved closure.'

He waited.

'And then she has her baby who's all alone in the castle without his mother to care for him. I blame myself. If I had only stayed in the castle, things around her wouldn't have been so chaotic. But if I had, you wouldn't be with me.' The conflict in her eyes was apparent. 'I sent a messenger with her, commending her. I vouched for her. I addressed a letter to the King and Queen explaining how much she had helped us. Other than that I don't know how to help her.'

He sighed knowing that she had done enough to help Felicia. Of course, it would have been better if Damien had returned to the castle with her but he was in no condition to do so. The physicians treating him had been strict on bed rest. If he were to mount a horse now, he would only be a drag.

'Rowan allowed the Demon Queen into the castle, do you know that?' He asked.

She bobbed her head mutely.

'And Jeremiah knew about it. He didn't say a word because he didn't want to hurt Felicia.'

'And look what happened. I like Felicia. She's a friend... and family too. Curse them both for doing this to her.'

'Mother will be crestfallen. She loved Rowan dearly.'

Amara shifted and looked at him. 'You did too.' Her voice was a whisper.