33.

Two days before the celebration, the Supreme Sorceress was waiting for Amara in her laboratory- not because she wanted to teach her but because she had found a way to find the spirit who had bound the others; and because Amara was stronger than her, she needed her to be there. 

Her maroon coat flapped as she paced behind the table, occasionally glancing at the table to check if she'd gathered the ingredients for the ritual. She hadn't used magic the past week because it required a lot to summon such a powerful spirit- also she didn't want to burden Amara much as she wasn't properly acquainted to her powers yet. 

She glanced at the grandfather-clock again, thinking, The classes were over ten minutes ago. Where is she?

The ritual could give her a glimpse of the future- that was all she needed. God knows how many times she had taken this ability of hers for granted but never again. 

'Good afternoon, Phoebe,' Amara's soft voice reverberated in the lab. 

It was scary sometimes but very effective during incantations.

She greeted her back with a tight smile, wondering how to ask so much of her. 

'What are you up to?' The future Queen asked as she walked to the table eyeing the ingredients curiously. With a lazy smile, she added, 'Am I to destroy all of these?'

Phoebe chuckled at her reference to the tests she had given her for the past week. She shook her head, 'These are for something else.' 

'What is it for?'

She took a deep breath, 'I want to summon a really powerful spirit.' 

Amara's emerald eyes were filled with wonder, 'Do I get to watch?'

'Actually, I need your help.'

Phoebe watched as Amara's face portrayed her disbelief but soon, it morphed into excitement. 

'If you think I can help, then I'll be happy to.'

The sorceress gave her a smile. 'I've done this before but with weaker spirits. It is easier to catch their attention.'

'You told me this is a powerful spirit, who is it?'

She shook her head, 'I don't know but whoever this spirit is has bound all of the weaker spirits so every time I ask them a question, I hit a brick wall.' 

'Is that even possible?' 

'I thought so too but the last time I interrogated some of the weaker ones, they told me that whoever it was, no longer lives.' 

Amara exhaled loudly, 'This is certainly exciting.' She glanced at Phoebe. 

'It is.' She lit the fire underneath the cauldron with a match which confused Amara, 'I've been saving magic for this,' she explained to which she received a nod.

'What do you need me for?'

She shrugged, 'As soon as I start chanting, I want you to channel your magic and direct it into the cauldron.' Looking at her, she asked, 'Are you ready?' 

Amara nodded, 'Let's do this.' 

She watched as Phoebe nodded and began to pour the colourful vials that were on the table one by one, with utmost care. She shut her eyes and used the earth to fuel her magic, drawing it from the depths. It was difficult but she managed to awaken it. Her muscles felt different as her magic wove into her bloodstream, waiting to be let out. 

As soon as Phoebe spoke the first words of the spell, it began to echo in the room. Amara opened her eyed and spread her palms toward the black vessel. A cloud with a hint of green began to swirl around her fingers and made its way into the opening. 

The cauldron seemed to have gained a life of its own as it greedily sucked her power. Dark spots danced in front of her eyes but Phoebe came to her rescue before she could pass out. Green and red clouds formed a vortex over the vessel and disappeared into it. 

The lab began to rumble but the sorceress did not stop her incantations. 

Amara's vision grew hazier and hazier as the moments passed but she couldn't move. It was as if someone was holding her up, forcing to dispel all her magic.

Then it stopped. 

Everything stopped. 

The spell, the echoes, the rumbling. 

She glanced at the Phoebe only to find her sweating profusely, struggling to stay on her feet. Confusion and fear clouded her mind, 'Is this supposed to happen?'

Phoebe could only shake her head, No

Amara swallowed. She was about to reach for the sorceress when the cauldron erupted. 

She had never felt so close to death and that was saying something considering her previous encounter with it. 

Her heart paced as clouds of dirty yellow whirled around her, obscuring her vision, 'Phoebe?' She called out for the sorceress but received no reply. In doing so, she inhaled some of the smoke that caused her to cough frantically filling her eyes with water. 

She fell on her knees when her legs gave away. 

Just before she could die from suffocation, the smoke parted and disappeared, leaving Amara to breathe and appreciate the clean air. Breathing deeply a few times, she scanned the room for Phoebe. 

She found the sorceress lying on the floor. 

Fearing the worst, Amara sprinted past the cauldron and knelt next to her friend, 'Phoebe!' 

To her relief, Phoebe opened her eyes. 'What was that?' She asked as she sat up. 

Something caught her attention. The sorceress froze and stared at something behind Amara. 

'Wh-What it is?' Amara asked, terrified of her expression. Slowly, she craned her neck to see what had shaken Phoebe. 

An apparition stood where once the cauldron was. 

A tall woman, clothed in layers and layers of multicoloured cloaks smiled at her. It wasn't a damning one, it was gentle and kind. Amara felt as if she were looking in the mirror that showed one how they would look when they were ageing. 

She was flabbergasted. 

'My daughter, words seem petty when I seek to describe how fortunate I am to see you again.'