Chapter 12: Flower that Blooms in Death III (draft)

The gentle summer weather is prevalent in Yu Mian City. 

Luckily, there have been no more assassination attempts on Wang Ye's life. I am worried as to who could be sending these people after him. Wang Ye doesn't seem to be a villainous lord who bullies others nor is he politically greedy. 

But what would I know?

The country is seemingly at peace. The poor still suffers from poverty and are recovering from the rebellions years ago. Wang Ye wasn't involved with the actions of our government back then as he was just a child. Just like how I was, a child caught up in the country's unrest and paid the price, being thrown into this convoluted life.

Observing Wang Ye's stoic expression, I silently watch as he reads a thin textbook.

Head Servant Wong waddles in, his head low and he bows. "Wang Ye, his highness has arrived."

Wang Ye's eyes abruptly stops gliding over the line of words. He sets the book down and rises to his feet. Shaking out his sleeves in one swift motion, he walks out to greet this royal guest. I follow behind him as usual, my feet always one step behind from stepping on the dark shadow drawn by Wang Ye's outstanding eminence.

We meet the guest in the main hall. His hair tied into a bun with a golden brooch, his robes glistened a handsome crimson, opposite of Wang Ye's subdued azure silk. 

Wang Ye lowers his head, showing a mere deferential greeting but nothing more. "What brings Huang Taizhi to my home?"

This is the Crown Prince?! I've never met him before. The country raves that he is the most brave and logical Crown Prince of  this dynasty. His appearance is neat and  fit, but he lacks the captivating allure that Wang Ye possesses.

"Imperial Uncle." The Crown Prince doesn't reciprocate the same amount of politeness Wang Ye showed him. This bothered me. However it was the Crown Prince, he is allowed to behave in such a behavior.

"Imperial Uncle!" A much chipper voice distracts the gloomy presence. Siya Gongzhu rushes over to Wang Ye, jumping at his side. 

"Siya... What are you doing here?" Wang Ye asks, glancing once at her before looking elsewhere uninterested.   

"I came with Gege! He was going to leave me all alone at the imperial palace. Can you believe that?" 

"It's not safe for your highness to be out and about." Wang Ye turns his attention back to the Crown Prince. 

"Shouldn't I feel the safest now that I've reached Imperial Uncle's residence?" The Crown Prince menacingly question. There is an perilous feeling hidden in their words. 

The Crown Prince doesn't feel that Wang Ye will keep him safe?

"Wang Ye!" Gui screams loudly, approaching the trio. "Wang Ye, I have to go now! Before Goat Tao--" Her eyes fall on the Crown Prince and she closes her mouth.

Was she insinuating that... the Crown Prince is this Goat Tao?

"You." The Crown Prince sneers, leaving an irritable scowl on his face. 

Gui's face turns pale, her eyes widen with dismay. Stiffly turning, she attempts to go back the way she came. 

"You dare not greet royalty?" He yells after her. Gui immediately halt her steps. Slowly turning back around, she fakes a smile. 

"Hello, hello. Crown Prince. My mistake, my mistake." She cups her hands together, swaying them. 

"So this is where Imperial Uncle took the charlatan?"

"Who are you calling a charlatan?!" Gui fires back. 

"This person is not a charlatan." Wang Ye steps in and defends her. "She is currently my teacher."

"Teacher?" The Crown Prince glares at Gui with a frown. "Not teaching you on how to be rambunctious, I hope?"

"Not at all. She knows a lot about many subjects and is a very good teacher." 

Wang Ye is praising her more than necessary. It is needed to dodge Crown Prince's suspicions. 

"Hopefully, Imperial Uncle can teach her some manners. Where were you going to run off to, Teacher? This Goat Tao must be quite malicious for you to be avoiding him."

"I actually have things to do before Crown Prince showed up. I'll be on my way." Gui is about to walk past when Wang Ye's hand grasps her arm. 

"Where are you going?"

"Ah? I'm just going to go out for a bit."

"Do you need me?" Wang Ye leans toward her, speaking in a soft tone. She instantly jerks away. 

"I'll just be gone a minute, really. I just need to get some ingredients for our lesson tomorrow."

"You know where I'll be if you need anything."

"Yes... Wang Ye."

They have both are acting suspicious. Seeming like they have grown... somewhat closer. I haven't found the time to talk to Gui about improving my influence as a spirit. The more I can learn to utilize myself, the better I can protect Wang Ye. And in what ways could I possibly avoid the fate of a vengeful ghost. Since she is going out alone there will be time for me to ask questions. 

"Why are you following me? Isn't it enough that you follow Wang Ye around all day?" Gui suddenly turns to face me, hands on her hips. 

"I have some things to ask you."

"I told you I'm not doing you any favors." She begins walking away.

Catching up to her speed, my legs are off the ground as I move through air. "Why does the Crown Prince not like you? Did you do something to offend him?"

"Stupid Goat Tao. He's the one who offended me."

"You should be careful with how you act around members of the royal family. They may find reason to harm you."

"Reason or no reason, they'll find a way if they wanted."

"What are your true intentions to finding Wang Ye?"

Gui stops walking as we are just about to head into the market street. Clicking her tongue, she looks at me with annoyance.

"You heard me already. I was looking for the Heavenly Golden Bead."

"I know. But why do you need it? If Wang Ye has it then there is a reason why he is the owner."

"Relax, I won't steal it from him. It's meant to protect him after all."

I feel lighter hearing her say that, but I cannot trust her on her words alone.

"That still doesn't explain why you've been looking for it," I say.

"I don't have time to talk to you. It'll be night soon."