Chapter 10: Flower that Blooms in Death (draft)

There's no way I'll turn into a vengeful spirit.

I have nothing to avenge. All I wish is for Wang Ye's safety as long as he lives.

"She's just trying to get rid of me," I mutter. Every time I talk to her, I feel more annoyed. I have no choice since she is the only one who can see me.

I still do not know her intentions for being with Wang Ye. She is rather secretive about it. I'm sure Wang Ye does not harbor any strong feelings toward her. She, however, is up to something most likely. I'll have to stay by Wang Ye's side to protect him not only from assassins, but that silly girl as well.

With a hundred thoughts floating in my head, I wander the manor. Each step taking me nowhere but back to the front of Wang Ye's outer chamber doorway. 

"Where is Wang Ye?" I haven't seen him since last night. It's only morning, he should be having breakfast in his room except there seems to be no signs of life. 

That girl was heading to the Main Hall earlier. Could she be meeting him there?

Without a second thought, I make my way to the Main Hall to see if I could find Wang Ye. Reaching the front doors, I'm shocked to see a stupendous meal set for breakfast. Steaming rice congee, deep-red braised fish, rich wonton soup, and fluffy egg pancakes. The girl is eating with her mouth full, happily aiming her chopsticks at the dishes. Of course, the fried vegetables on the side remains untouched. 

Wang Ye sits across from her, sipping on his morning tea. The brew always the same, black tea infused with a sweet fruit tint. He doesn't seem to be eating much as usual, which is something I'm always worried about. But he knows his limits, so I try not to mind. 

"You've done nothing to teach me your special talents since you've arrived here. Do you wish to continue our Master and Student relationship?" Wang Ye sets down his cup. The soft clinking of porcelain rings for a brief moment. 

She wipes her mouth with her sleeve. The food leaves grease marks on the corners of her mouth. I grimace at her appearance being so unsightly in front of Wang Ye.

"Wang Ye, you don't have to call me Master. Just call me by my name, Xiao Gui," She explains. 

Xiao Gui? That is her name? Indeed, it matches her strange personality and mysterious background.

"Fine. Xiao Gui. You said you came looking for me in Yu Mian City. You even made a scene in front of the Crown Prince. So tell me. Just what are you looking for?"

"I--" Gui was about to reveal her purpose for bothering Wang Ye, but her eyes quickly set on mine. I was trying to make myself small by hiding in the corner. That proved to be completely useless as Weirdo Gui can still see me.

She puckers her lips and mimes the word 'leave.' Her head moves sideways, gesturing for me to exit the room. I imagine if I was human and observing her right now, I would definitely think she is strange. 

"What is it?" Wang Ye asks. His tone impatient and cool. I sense he is uninterested in Gui's odd behavior. Wang Ye is such a person who would not tolerate foolishness. Gui was nothing but foolish. 

"Uh, Wang Ye. May we talk about this another time. I have other business to attend to."

"What matters do you have elsewhere if I am the reason you are sitting here in front of me?" 

Wang Ye's dark grey eyes stare menacingly into Gui's. His serious demeanor is effectively intimidating. Gui lowers her eyes and slumps her shoulders. As a mere fly on the wall, even Wang Ye's voice is making my heart race.