Chapter 6 - Between Servant and Master II

"Xiao Bai? Xiao Bai? Where are you?" Walking through the bamboo forest behind Wang Ye's manor, I'm in search of Xiao Bai.

Is she becoming lazy? So much to do and she's gone off somewhere.

I find her kneeling in front of a burial mound. Sniffing, she wipes her eyes pitifully.

She's visiting Aunt Liu again? She must miss her...

News is that his majesty is suffering from an unknown illness. Huang Taizi wants to solidify his ascension to the throne.

Unexpectedly, Wang Ye left the manor. I don't know what for. Only a couple of months have gone by since the scary assassination attempt, and I worry that he will again be in danger. Although I don't consider myself anything like a good luck charm, I know if anything like that happens again, I am capable of protecting Wang Ye. If only he would bring me along.

"Wang Ye has returned! Wang Ye has returned!" An excited servant announces through the residence.

Washing clothes at the laundry pool with Xiao Bai, I see the other female servants squirm with delight. A few abandon their chores and pat down their disorganized hair before running off to greet Wang Ye.

I shake my head and continue washing the remaining of Wang Ye's clothes.

"Wang Ye has brought a woman with him!" Another high-pitched voice discloses.

My hands refuse to continue washing, frozen not from the cold water.

What?

Xiao Bai and I both rise. Meandering over to the confined outdoor pathway, I see a tall figure in dark robes carry a small woman in his arms. She is unconscious, her eyelashes draped over like the ends of a twirling skirt. She wears a light rosy dress matching her small, pink lips. Her long black hair rests over Wang Ye's arm, flowing gracefully like that of a heavenly waterfall.

As Wang Ye nears us, we lower our heads and knees. "Wang Ye."

He passes us by like we are nothing, not even acknowledging us at all.

What is going on?

There's this unexplainable tightness in my chest. My heart feels like it's being squeezed so mercilessly. The image of Wang Ye holding that woman so dear... It makes me feel so bitter.

The woman is actually a young girl, about fifteen in appearance. I wonder why Wang Ye has suddenly taken an interest in a girl. He's never expressed enthusiasm to court any noble daughters of the many political leaders.

So why her?

Head Servant Song calls for us, the maidservants to Wang Ye, to quickly report to Kai Yun. Wang Ye has brought her to the grandest guest quarters in the manor.

"Wang Ye has a guest in the manor who is recuperating from injuries, so you are all to take extra care of her, understood?"

The three of us look to the ground and only say, "Yes."

Just who was this new girl that Wang Ye has asked us to pay special attention to?

It doesn't matter.

Xiao Bai and the new maid will look after her. I can't abandon my duties to serve Wang Ye.

"Wang Ye?" I gently ask for Wang Ye outside his chambers with a tray. I've just brewed some medicinal tea and placed some light snacks on it to serve Wang Ye.

However, I don't hear a response. I'm sure that he had come here after bringing his guest to Kai Yun.

"Excuse me..." I slowly press a hand to the door, opening it slowly. The creaking sounds is eerily intimidating. Wang Ye may find fault with me and have me punished for intruding, but I haven't seen him in over two weeks. I just want to make sure he's healthy.