Chapter 14: Flower that Blooms in Death V

Sitting inside her room, Xiao Gui is telling me of how she met Wang Ye.

"The Royal Palace is actually more scary than being on the outside," she says.

"What do you mean?"

"All the bitterness, desires and injustice that happened inside those walls, building up over the years, completely sealed in its own sphere. It is boiling with dark energy. I felt suffocated until I met Wang Ye."

I place my elbows on the table, leaning in. "What were you doing in the Royal Palace? And why did you decide to follow Wang Ye to Yu Mian City?"

"As you know, I am special. I can see and talk to spirits. This makes me a bit vulnerable. You saw how all those lost souls attacked me at the abandoned temple. I was with my Master when we were traveling. He was a close friend of Wang Ye's mother."

Wang Ye's mother? So they're more connected than I thought.

"My Master is from a clan that specialized in dealing with the occult. Many years ago, the royal family eradicated the clan because they feared that the clan's powers will overwhelm royal affairs. He said that there is one person who can keep me safe, so we took the risk and ventured to capital city. I think my Master was working on a separate mission without my knowing. He went missing after he entered the palace. I went looking for him and that's when I ran into the biggest, baddest problem and Wang Ye saved me."

"What happened?" Wanting her to go into details, I almost jump out of my chair.

"I was getting weaker spiritually, which could have been disastrous if I ran into an evil spirit. I sensed Wang Ye's presence in the Royal Palace that day... It was like I instinctively knew that he would keep me safe. I had to find him. I created a big mistake in the Royal Palace when I intruded on his meeting with the Empress. I begged for him to help me and that my Master knew his Mother. He vouched for me with the Empress, so she spared me but kicked me out. I still don't know where my Master is and only being by Wang Ye's side could I be rid of evil spirits."

I nod. "Have you asked Wang Ye to help you locate your Master?"

"Wang Ye told me he has people looking."

"I see now why you stick to Wang Ye. I didn't realize these lost souls were giving you such troubles."

"Not only spirits, but monsters and demons, all the evils in the world. Being psychic makes me alluring to prey on."

"Your Master was the one who shielded you all this time until you met Wang Ye?"

"It was like Master knew something was going to happen to him, so he wanted to make sure I was with Wang Ye. But it seems something happened to him before he could make that happen."

 A sense of guilt and sympathy forms inside my heart. I do pity Gui and even though she is close to Wang Ye more than I'd like, I feel that in some way they are meant to be where they are now. They both need each other. 

"I understand now why you were against me before. I just didn't realize." I bow my head, unable to look at her.

"Well, I'm sorry I was curt. I know it couldn't have been easy for you too. Being dead and not knowing how to move on." She stares at me for a moment and then says, "Chu Chu, you know you are quite peculiar."

Not taken aback, I don't say anything. After all, I am a spirit who vowed to protect Wang Ye and wander his home.

She continues, "I was very surprised that you could be near Wang Ye since you are a spirit. The guardian bead inside him repels supernatural creatures. Ghosts avoid him because his aura is too bright, but it seems to have no effect on you."