29 - The Fountain

Bea felt wary. She loved to throw parties, but having the Whitby Gala at her house was more work than she had expected. Even with the event catered by the foundation, she was certain Rosa would walk out on her.

It was a brilliant spring day and a little fatigue wouldn't stop Bea from enjoying her garden. She walked through observing some new blooms, thanks to little pollinators.

Unfortunately, she didn't have control over the guest list for the gala and had people in her house who she never would have invited, Walter Leonard for one. There were many other scoundrels, like him. She hired staff to block off the stairs and doorways to the private spaces in her home. Even the wealthy liked to snoop where they didn't belong.

Bea smiled, one of her houseguest always walked through her private rooms, but he had a nasty habit to satisfy. His respect for her meant he would slink to the back of the house so only the kitchen staff could see him. Rosa complained, forgetting he was Bea's guest.

It surprised Bea to see Ted has been slinking about too. She had no idea he and Mia were so close. Months ago, Sage said their blind date was a dud. Why hadn't Bea seen the potential? Mia was just what Ted needed. Bea took her walk to get away from her phone. Sage had been calling all morning with tidbits of gossip. Was it salacious gossip that Ted's son loves Mia already?

Ted deserved some happiness. Marrying Elaine was foolish. She cornered Ted before his big mistake, but he assured her not to worry. She knew he was lying even with the masquerade mask blocking most of his face. She had found him wandering back for her garden, looking distracted. She thought he was going to ask her something important, but after a long pause he asked if she had seen Oliver. Her answer was he was with Monty by the bar. Ted frowned and went back to the ballroom to join Elaine and the others.  She hadn't thought about that night in years.  Why did that conversation come to mind?

Oh well.  It was the past, and even Ed regretted forcing the marriage. The only positives of the union were Ted's son and the success of Homestead, because Ted and his new condos are the talk of the town.

Next is Book 4, Sloane's story. A Million Miles Apart. Recommended reading The Boy of Summer.

Scroll for Ted and Mia's video...

@Sexlim Depositphotos.com