20 - Big fish

Ted was getting frustrated with the dance Trey was doing with Elaine's attorney. His old friend kept assuring him he was leading. Trey was an excellent dancer and a better negotiator. Elaine's visit to Mia may have been an effort to get some dirt on Ted. She would have to invent dirt, because Ted worked, took care of his son, and ate cookies. If Mia's cookies were criminal, then he'd gladly take the fall.

They had scheduled a meeting to hash out the custody issues. Trey called him into his office to prepare. His assistant Liz greeted Ted. When she went into Trey's office to let him know Ted had arrived, he heard them laughing. She was more beautiful than Trey's bitchy wife. Ted wouldn't blame his friend if he found companionship and comfort with his assistant. His poor friend deserved some happiness. Ted thought of Mia. He was beginning to rely on her friendship. An added perk to his son's visits was the prospect of talking to Mia. Bantering was his favorite part. Living alone was almost as lonely as living with a woman who didn't love him. Elaine had married him for a lot of reasons, but he quickly discovered love was not one of them.

He was weary of Elaine's friend Taylor, who came from the same mold. If his hostesses continue to place him next to her, he would stop accepting invitations, and then he would hear from his disappointed mother.

Trey appeared. "Teddy, let's get to this."

He stood and followed his friend into his office. Liz was shifting through some files, but left before they finished with their small talk.

"Anything new to tell me?" Trey started the conversation.

"Unfortunately, aside from dating Walter Leonard."

"We'll get to Leonard, tell me what else."

"She's threatened by my tenant and offered to pay her to move. At least that's what I assumed."

Trey nodded. "Your tenant. Aidan's sister?"

Ted nodded. "Elaine doesn't even know who she is. She doesn't know she was the one I spoke to Leonard about."

"Why was Aidan's sister at Celia's house? I wasn't even invited to the dinner. My parents were but had a conflict."

"You're a cheap son of a bitch then." Ted smiled. "It was for big donors to the foundation. Mia works for the foundation."

"That's a coincidence."

Ted shook his head. "I doubt it. My guess is Bea played some role in getting her the job. She's smart though."

"Smart, huh? What does she do for Celia?"

Ted smiled. It was odd, but he felt proud of her. "She's the CFO."

"Interesting since, you've been seeing Taylor who must be her coworker."

Ted exclaimed louder than he intended. "I am not seeing Taylor!"

Liz called from the outer office. "Trey, you owe me twenty bucks. I told you Ted wouldn't go for a clone."

Ted laughed. Trey's assistant was so much nicer than his wife. "You bet on me and you thought I'd be with her."

Trey looked at him and paused. "And nothing is going on with Aidan's sister?"

Ted shook his head. "We're friends. I know it sounds strange to me, too. Little Ed loves her. I mean unbridled love where he runs into her arms every time he sees her. He also talks about her at home which is why Elaine is so upset. She wants him to love only her, but she doesn't know how to be lovable."

Trey nodded. His friend understood and not because it was his job. "Okay so nothing is happening but is that how you want it to be?"

"Are you asking if I'm attracted to her? Only a blind man wouldn't be. Why do you think Leonard was so rude? She has the girl next door look mixed with sophistication. The result is unbelievably sexy."

A Million Dreams (Wish 3)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara