2 - The Victorian

Mia stayed with Brenna for three nights while she completed her lease and planned to move her meager belongings

Mia stayed with Brenna for three nights while she completed her lease and planned to move her meager belongings. Because she moved into the apartment Derek had lived in for years, very little belonged to her. The evening of her first full day being single, she went to the furniture store to buy a bed, mattress, bureau, and sofa. It was a good thing she had saved money while with Derek, because her shopping dipped into her savings and the new apartment would take a big bite out of her paycheck.

On her lunch hour, she took a trip to Target to purchase a cheap end table, lamp, linens, and two bar stools for the granite island in her new, very own kitchen. She fell in love with the craftsmanship of the Victorian, but also the modern kitchen. To Mia, a kitchen she could bake in was the most important thing.

Celia was more than understanding when she took Friday off for her furniture delivery. She felt lucky she could schedule it so quickly. With the arrival of her bed, she spent the night in her new apartment. Mia was too busy to think about missing Derek. Her only contact with him was the text she sent to inform him, she would be picking up her belongings on Saturday.

When Noah returned from the hospital the day after the split, Brenna was full of questions.

"Did you see him?" Noah nodded. "Did you talk to him?"

Noah sighed. "Every time I tried he took off in the other direction. He can't avoid me forever."

Mia mumbled. "He's a coward."

Noah laughed. Brenna said, "He should be afraid of me. I'd chase after him if I saw him."

"Brenna, I had patients. I went looking for him on my break, but he was in surgery."

"I would have barged into the operating room."

Noah laughed. "And get thrown out by security and possibly arrested. Mia would you have bailed your sister out, because I think I'd let my wife spend the night in jail."

"Oh, you're no fun." Brenna sulked.

Mia had nothing to say to him, so she wouldn't chase after him. If she never saw him again, it would be too soon.

She recruited her friend Rosie's husband, Mike, to move her belongings in his pickup truck. It only required one trip. He loaded her oversized armchair and ottoman she bought to soften up the masculine decor which had preceded her. The rest of the load was the entirely equipped kitchen, including her Kitchenaid mixer. When she moved in Derek had a few plates and glasses and some random pans and bowls. She left him with exactly that. She took everything she had gradually accumulated. She had cooked their meals and baked endless amounts of cookies in his kitchen. She wished she could see Derek's face when he returned to find his cupboards bare. She even took all her staples and ingredients.

Baking had been her hobby since she was in middle school. To her it was a science and an art. She loved the precision of the measurements and the praise which never ended. She tried new recipes and brought the goodies to work for her coworkers. Her cookies made her very popular in her small office. Mike agreed to help her move, because she promised him cookies.