A Solitary Job

Alex was what I, and I'm sure everyone else, called a workaholic. He was always on his phone, typing or shouting in to it when he dropped off and picked up Zeus. He looked at me, nodded in thanks and then left. The thing was glued to his hands.

I loved working, writing my novels. I didn't do it because I had to, because it was my job and it was how I made money. Writing was my passion and my hobby. I became lost in the world of my characters when my fingertips hit the laptop keys and soon enough, without me even noticing, hours had passed and hundreds and hundreds of words had been written.

With Alex, I don't think it was quite like that. Work was his work; it was how he made money; he was married to the job.

So when he asked if he could stay with Loki, Zeus and I in our apartment and join us on the walk, it was very surprising.

"Don't you have work?" I tilted my head to the side, glancing up at him.

"I took the day off." He explained briefly, sitting down on the sofa. His legs stretched out under my coffee table. "Figure I'd stay, if that's alright?"

"That's great." I smiled hesitantly, closing the front door and sitting on the opposite side of the sofa.

I didn't know how I felt about him staying. I had gotten used to our two minute chats so I didn't feel uncomfortable in that aspect, but to spend the whole day with him? I wasn't sure how that was going to pan out.

As soon as I connected with the cushions, Loki jumped up, cuddling in to my lap. I stroked his head, kissing him. Zeus then jumped up, right on to Alex's lap and he groaned, his face turning red.

"Are you okay?" I glanced between him and Zeus, who was sat on his lap. It looked absolutely ridiculous but because Alex was so tall and well built, it didn't look as strange as it would if Zeus sat on my lap.

"Yep." He groaned through his clenched jaw. "Zeus move." Zeus ignored him. "Zeus move!"

I bit my lip and patted the space in between Alex and I. "Zeus sit here."

Zeus jumped on the empty cushion, sprawling out and laying his head on my knee and his back legs on Alex's lap.

"Why does he listen to you?" Alex looked between Zeus and I as I used one hand to scratch his head and the other to stroke Loki. His head was in my neck.

"I'm with him every day." I shrugged lightly.

"Sure." His lips turned up lightly. "So what do you normally do? Do they just sit here?"

I shake my head. "They normally aren't this affectionate."

"Zeus is very affectionate." He rolls his eyes slightly. "Can you train him not to be so needy?"

"I can't train him not to want affection." I squirm slightly in the cushion, my calmess shifting slightly. The knot of anxiety starts to form. I don't like this conversation.

"No but you can train him to not stand in front of the door when I leave for work or refuse to leave my bed." He stretches his legs out more.

The knot increases.

"You work a lot?" I ask quietly. He nods.

"Yes." He mutters, rolling his eyes.

I take a deep breath, focusing on Loki's fur in my hands. "You are Zeus' life. You are his whole life. He wakes up, wanting food and to see you. He wants to go on walks, with you. He wants attention and affection and cuddles, with you. You're all he has."

I can feel his eyes boring in to the side of my head but I close my eyes, hiding my face in Loki's fur coat and run my hands through it.

Why did I say anything? He probably hates me now. He's not going to let me see Zeus again. How did the words even come out of my mouth? Why didn't I keep to singular sentences?