Chapter 4: Living with the consequences

WRITERS NOTE:

This took me 6 hours to write, oh joy, how I love being a non-Brit.. not. Again, I am taking historical liberties because I am already taking too much time writing and looking things up. For instance I googled "Do they throw rice at weddings in England or just in America" today and other stuff about Christian weddings.

Quick reminder: this is not canon compliant.

If you enjoy my stories.. Please check out "A SEA BETWEEN", different Mara, same forced marriage theme.

***********************

A knock on her door.. probably Helena, Mara thinks for she had a habit of crawling into bed with her when she was scared, especially when it was raining heavily as it was tonight, so she told the visitor that they could enter but it wasn't.. Helena. It was her mother, shifting nervously at the entrance of her room.

Mara temporarily stopped combing her hair, looked at her mother, then continued and said, "come in Mother'. Henrietta Kensington walked over to her daughter and sat on her daughter's bed, which was close to where Mara was sitting.

Neither of them spoke for a little while until her mother did.

"I.. I always envisioned what your wedding day would be like when you were a child.. I can't believe that day is come.. It is.. bittersweet to see your daughter leaving the nest and trying to make one of her own", Henrietta stated but Mara didn't reply just continued with what she was doing, and an awkward silence resumed.

"I know you're still cross with me", Henrietta mentioned yet Mara still didn't answer.

"I want you to know that I am sorry for.. the way I approached the whole Henry situation", she nervously stated, and Mara stopped combing her hair suddenly and directed her attention at her mother.

"It wasn't your fault.. He did a terrible thing to you.. to all of us.. He promised you he would marry you and instead he left you, left all of us in the cold. He strung you along for years and then.. choose her instead. I want you to know that I will never speak to her aunt and niece, and the same goes for your father, who is completely fine with it as well. We are so sorry.. I am so sorry" and she nodded for emphasis, tearing up at the same moment.

Mara sighed, put the comb down and turned to face her mother.

"I understand, mother, trust me I do. We were engaged for years so therefore other suitors, if there had been any in the first place, did not inquire after me.. As you know I am now not the youngest anymore and my options to marry were now limited, if not non-existing so I understand your concern. but I couldn't help but feel disappointed with you, as if had done something wrong.. Look I understand Lauren is prettier than me- ", she said shyly and looked down.

"Nonsense", her mother had grabbed her hand and gently squeezed it.

"Nonsense". She had gotten up and gently touched Mara's face and then gently raised it up with one figure.

"You are just as beautiful, if not more my dearest Mara. And thankfully things worked out for you. The Lord does work in mysterious ways indeed. Anthony Bridgerton is a wonderful match; someone I would have never dreamed of.. He is handsome, affluent, his family is lovely, and you get along great with them his siblings-.

"I don't love him, mother". The statement was out before she knew it, and both were startled by the sudden confession for words were not uttered.

Henrietta sighed.

"I know.. but maybe you will.. later ", Henrietta suggested softly but Mara shook her head.

"What if I can't.. What if I never will? You do know.. it's the same for him, don't you? He isn't in love with me. I doubt he even wants me at all", she emphasized. At that point Henrietta Kensington had to do her best not to smile.. Yeah sure, he didn't want Mara uhuh.