Chapter 6: A lover's quarrel

Writer's note;

As per usual this took forever to write, my apologies for shitty grammar and stuff. Two things I wanted to remind you/say; this is not canon-compliant for anyone you might argue "OOOH Anthony would not do that" and you would be right but this is my story and I have a tendency to write my male characters as I don't know, annoying at first for they come around so I am going with it.

Secondly: This story has gotten so much love from people and I just wanted to say as I am tearing up writing this.. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I appreciate it so, so much. Check out my other story "A SEA BETWEEN" if you guys are interested. Different forced marriage, same Mara but in this one her last name is 'Malfoy' for she marries PRINCE Draco Malfoy.

*****************

The next day she did not come down for breakfast... Nor to lunch, and he consumed both in solitude for a day. It was clear she was avoiding up by preferring to stay in her room yet he had seen the servant taking things up on a tray to her so she must have felt hungry at one point.

In any case this just wasn't going to do. Nope. He wasn't going to ALLOW her to sulk in solitude and he wasn't on board with letting things linger on for longer than needed. So, when he saw the butler intending to go upstairs again, a thought entered his mind, an idea and he acted on it immediately by nearly sprinting over to him.

"Charleston... I'll take this upstairs, thank you". Charleston looked at him bewildered as he had known Anthony for years and he had never done this before but who was he to say anything? No, after twenty years of working for the Bridgertons, he had realised that sometimes it was better not to say anything.

"Of course," he said and handed him the tray.

"Thank you" said Anthony with a smile before walking slowly upstairs. Pff, he thought. How did people do this? The tray was heavy, and Anthony was already struggling to keep his balance, but luckily he made it to the second floor, but with difficulty and then barely knocked on the door with one hand, nearly dropping everything.

She opened the door unsuspectingly and was startled by his presence and took a step back. He grinned at her, partly to put her on ease, partly because he thought he thought he was hilarious and deftly stated "Your supper, madam".

She did not look at him with amusement, but somewhere she had to confess... It was kind of funny, yet she wasn't keen on letting him know that.

"Can I come in?" but she frowned a tad at that suggestion, so he changed tactics.

"Or perhaps you would wish to consume your meal downstairs in the presence of, well me, perhaps?".

"No worries, I'll eat here. Thank you" and with that she took the tray away from him and closed the door in front of him. Damn, thought Anthony, he had hoped his plan would work but he didn't want to give up yet, so he started knocking on the door.

"Mara" he sighed. "You can't avoid me forever.... I just want to talk" but she didn't open, and he sighed.

" I'll be in the drawing room later. I would like it if you'd come and join me at one point he said to a closed door, hoping she would hear him.

Anthony was busy reading the newspaper, which he had forgotten to do in the morning but paid no attention to. Every few sentences he looked at the exit, wondering if she would come by or not. Unfortunately, she did not, and he was about to get up and go to bed, admit his loss, when he saw her enter.

"Oh hello" he said a tad awkwardly and surprised she had come.

"I was about to leave; I didn't expect you to -"