Chapter 16: Conclusion

Mara kept staring at the door. She knew that he could come in at any moment. She tried in vain to refocus on her stupid embroidery, something like a rose or something, well it was supposed to look like that, but it wasn't. This was a rose that was already half wilted and looked like it was dying, she thought to herself now, and she almost had to chuckle as her nerves caught up with her. This was a rose that was already half wilted and seemed to be dying, she thought to herself now, and she almost had to chuckle if her nerves hadn't got in the way. No, she was far too nervous to laugh now.

He hadn't come back yet; she knew he liked to bathe extensively. She also knew he was vain; a trait she sometimes teased him about but admitted to herself.... If she had been a man and looked like Anthony Bridgerton, she would undoubtedly have been vain too. But this time he seemed to take a long time; bathing and dressing normally didn't take that long either she knew... Would he have changed his mind? Refrained from meeting her after all? She hoped not, but somewhere inside she got the feeling that...

Someone knocked on the door; and immediately she jumped from where she was sitting and dropped the embroidery.

"Come in" she said in a shaky voice, which was not the intention. She was supposed to sound fearless, but her voice failed her. Tennison; the butler opened and announced.

"Mr Bridgerton" he said in a drawling tone whereupon Anthony walked in and instantly she was struck again by his handsome and stately appearance; the way he moved with confidence as if he was sure of everything in life although she seemed to detect some doubt in his eyes.

He carefully walked in and took a deep breath. The closer he came the more she struggled to breathe, as if the air was being sucked out of her lungs. Anthony stayed right in front of her, examining her with his gaze, and seemed to want to lean forward and kiss her cheek, but the movement came too quickly for her, or not at all, and Mara took a step backwards. His eyes showed disappointment, but he said nothing and took a step backwards.

"Please sit down," Mara said, pointing to the sofa opposite. He nodded and meekly sat down.

This was not a good start, Anthony thought. He had hoped that after their mutual expression of regret, they would be able to start on the road to recovery but perhaps... he had acted too hastily. Anthony had to be patient now and certainly in the coming weeks; however long it would take, because he wanted her. Not just because of their child, but because she was his wife and he wanted no one else. The past few weeks had been hell on earth for him; he had been so worried and then so happy to hear that she had been found. That he had found her and then disappointed to learn that Henry had visited her. He had given up. Gave up hope but when they had found out from his clever sisters that Mara was pregnant; his whole mood had changed, and he had realised what an idiot he had been. He didn't want to lose her; Anthony didn't want to lose them; Mara and the child she was carrying. It would kill him to, so he had to fix this; whatever it took; he had to.

An awkward silence fell between them; one that reminded them of their earlier wedding days, where everything was strange to them both and they obviously still had to get used to each other. Yet after a while Anthony cleared his throat and spoke, for he had questions in his mind that he would like answered.

"So... how are you feeling?" he asked timidly; clearly hinting at the pregnancy.

She blushed slightly; as stupid as it was, he was her husband. at least for now.

"I feel pretty good. I'm still very nauseous at the beginning of the morning but other than that I'm fine I think".

He smiled broadly; a smile that made his whole face light up and nodded.

"That's good to hear," he said. "Good to hear" he repeated not to her but to himself, so it seemed. He cleared his throat for the second time and then went on to question number 2