Chapter 14: What once was is now lost

Writer's note:

I am stealing the Marina plotline for this chapter... Next one will probably be the last, followed perhaps by an epilogue. I have taken once again, historical liberties, even though apparently it is nice to swim in Cornwall as it has many beaches (I looked that up). See you at the next one. 

XXXXXXXXXX

Dearest Reader,

I am fully aware of the irony of I, of all people stating the following but I find the incessant gossiping about Mrs. Bridgertons whereabouts cruel and unnecessary. Just because a woman is married does not that make her a prisoner and that she should stay with her husband all days of the week. Women have the right to visit their friends, since when is het needed to spin stories about their absences?

That said this author is thoroughly convinced that the Viscount and Viscountess are still very much in love with each other and would implore anyone to hold their wicked tongues and to mind their own business.

Yours sincerely,

Lady Whistledown

"Surprised to see you in Cornwall" he stated nonchalantly after Mara asked him to take a seat.

Henry acted as if he weren't aware that she had left London, that he had figured she would go to her friend Lily and stay there, and more importantly that... there was trouble in paradise in her marriage. The buffoon of a Bridgerton had made a fatal error and apparently visited his old 'fling', an opera singer, and was spotted, most likely by Emma when he left the theatre after her farewell performance. When he heard he had chuckled for several minutes and understood that he had a chance now, a chance to get her back, an opportunity to right the wrongs.

Henry loved her still, yes, he had made a mistake in the past but that was over now... If Mara divorced that idiot, they could try to get back together. He was certain she would object, rightfully so in the beginning but he would do anything to redeem herself in her eyes.

She was the one for him, mind you he had enjoyed the company of others since his split and newfound bachelordom but when he lied in his bed afterwards, he thought of her, no matter how many times he tried not to. Henry would remember her smile, the way she embraced and kissed him, sweetly and shyly, even after six years and how that made him melt time and time again. He would remember how her friendly, striking eyes would light up whenever she saw him, how she felt in his arms, as if she were always supposed to be there.

Henry recollected the times when they used to sit in his parents' house drawing room in quietness, having no need to converse much, just enjoying each other's company. It had been enough; it had been everything and he had given it up like a damn fool.

Nowadays Henry felt restless, even when he tried to get some sleep, and felt like he was endlessly chasing something he couldn't grasp no matter how many times he got close It took him a while to understand that was missing in his life... was her, only her.

Fate had given him the opportunity to make amends and by God he was going to grab it with his own hands.

"I wanted to stay a couple of days near the sea and thought I'd play Lily a visit as well she stammered while flushing lightly, inwardly hoping he had bought the lie.

Henry had not but he wasn't going to let that on.

"Of course, after all she is a good friend of yours. When is she coming back? Would like to say hello to her and her husband but they have been out some time the butler told me".

"I think that they'll be back shortly... but ehm what brings you to Cornwall?", Mara inquired, and he blinked in slight confusion and then smiled at her.