Chapter One✓

Eight years later...

"KOHL! KNOX! GET UP I AM NOT GOING TO TELL YOU BOTH AGAIN!"

"OKAY, MOM!" I hear two little boy voices reply in sync.

I swear those boys drive me crazy most of the time, but I love them with all my heart and soul. At only seven years old, Knox and Kohl get into a lot of trouble. They have since they were in the terrible twos.

I stepped out to get the mail one time, wasn't even gone for two minutes, and came back inside to find toys and pudding everywhere. I don't even know how they found the pudding! Honestly, I didn't even know we had pudding. Later, I found out my dad bought it and secretly fed it to them. Which earned him an earful from me. I probably yelled at him for an hour straight.

Trouble makers, I tell you.

Knox is the oldest by three minutes and likes to remind his brother of that all the time. Knox is the complete opposite of Kohl. He likes to just sit back and observe everything around him while Kohl is such a goofball and likes to be the center of attention. The boys' personalities balance each other out perfectly, I think. When Kohl does talk him into doing something they shouldn't do, Knox is the one who plans everything out. To make sure it all goes to plan smoothly and that they are the least likely to get into trouble. Knox is more like me, while Kohl is more like their father Cage. Both the boys, however, are his spitting image, the same dirty blonde hair and blue-gray eyes. They even have his smile, dimples and all.

Hearing the boys running towards the kitchen, I plate up both of their waffles, with peanut butter and syrup on top, strawberries on the side, and a glass of orange juice.

It's the boys' favorite breakfast food.

"Morning Mom," Kohl and Knox say in sync again.

"Morning, boys," I reply, placing their waffles in front of them.

I ruffle their hair, earning a small glare from Kohl that lacks any heat this early in the morning. Then walking over to the coffeemaker, pouring myself a cup in my favorite coffee mug. In my opinion, coffee tastes so much better when you drink it from your favorite cup. The kitchen falls into a serene stillness that doesn't happen very often. The only sound that can be heard is the clank of silverware against plates and chirping birds outside. Looking out the window above the sink in the kitchen, I can tell it's going to be a lovely fall day, one of the last few, since winter is fast approaching. With Thanksgiving coming up in three days, this is one of my busiest times of the year. With everyone wanting pies or my signature fall cupcakes.

Once the boys are done eating, I tell them to get their backpacks while I place the dirty dishes in the sink to be washed later. I slip out of my slippers and put on tennis shoes before grabbing my purse and car keys.

"Boys, you ready? Did you make sure you grabbed everything you needed?"

"Yeah, Mom. Is Grandpa picking us up from school again today?" Knox asks while putting on his shoes.

"Okay, good and no, he's not I am. I'm taking you to the bakery after school. I have a few cakes I have to make for some customers. I might have a new cupcake for you boys to try."

"Really?! Yes!" The boys' high-five and jump up and down in excitement.

I laugh at their demeanor while opening the front door. I step aside to let them go out the door first. I close the door behind me, not even bothering to lock it. There isn't a point when nobody breaks into houses here. Plus, it will only take fifteen minutes at most to drop the boys off at school and come back home.