Chapter Eighteen

"Mom wake up!"

I groan in pain when one of the boys jabbed me with their elbow in my ribs. I was sleeping peacefully and having a really good dream. When Knox and Kohl decide to come into my room and jump on my bed and me.

"Come on Mom you said we could decorate the tree today," Knox says from somewhere down by my feet.

So it was Kohl who elbowed me. Knowing that I sneak my hand out from under my blankets and grab Kohl's arm. I quickly sit up when I do and tickle him all over his stomach.

"Mom! Mom stop!" Kohl squeaks out in between laughs.

Knox comes over and starts to help me tickle Kohl too.

"Not until you say sorry for elbowing me in the ribs," I tickle him under his arms where he's the most ticklish.

"Okay! Okay, I'm sorry."

Knox and I both stop and lay down beside him. The twins both snuggle up next to me and we all catch our breath from laughing. They hardly ever snuggle with me anymore. They say they are way too old to do that now and none of the kids at school snuggle with their moms either. Sometimes I wish Knox and Kohl would just stay babies forever. I swear they are growing up way too quickly. Soon they'll be in middle school, then high school, and eventually college. They just seemed to stop growing!

I sigh knowing that will never happen and I just need to enjoy them being kids for as long as possible. I kiss them both on their foreheads and pull them closer.

"Hey, Mom?"

"Yes, Knox?"

"Are you dating Dad?"

I'm stunned into silence. Of all the things I never thought he would have asked me that. I really thought Cage and I were doing a good job of not letting on that there was something more between us. I'm also not surprised that Knox was the one to figure it out. I'm not saying that Kohl wouldn't have been able to it's just Knox is very observant. He notices the smallest details that you wouldn't notice right away.

"Why do you ask?" I feel like that's the safest response to answer back with until I know why he's asking.

Knox gives a mom are you kidding look. I sigh knowing that there is no keeping this from them any longer.

"Yes, we are. Are you two okay with that?"

"More than okay with that Mom. Why didn't you tell us sooner?" Kohl asks me.

"We just wanted to make sure it was what we wanted before telling you, boys. We both didn't want to disappoint you if your father and I don't work out." I tell them and push some hair behind my ear, something I seem to do when I'm nervous.

"You still could have told us," Knox says.

"Yeah, Mom."

"I know. I promise I won't keep anything from you both anymore okay?" I hold my pinky out so they can link theirs with it. "I pinky promise."

They both link theirs with mine and then I kiss our linked pinky's.

"Okay come on boys let's eat some breakfast then we can decorate the tree. What do you both want?"

We all get up and head down the hall to eat some breakfast. Well for the boys, I just want a cup of coffee, or four. Knox and Kohl decided on cereal since it didn't need to cook and doesn't take long to eat. I had to tell them both more than once to slow down so they don't choke or bite their cheeks or tongue. I feel like we should avoid all injuries until at least noon. Once they are done eating they hop up almost knocking the breakfast bar stools over and rushing to the living room. I just shake my head and grab their bowl and put them in the sink before I join them in the living room.

"We should string up the blue light first and then the white lights," Knox says.

"No we should do the white first and then the blue," Kohl argues.

"Boys' why don't we just do this instead." I grab both strands of lights and twist them together then wrap them on the tree. "Now white and blue went on the tree at the same time. Let's not argue okay? This is supposed to be fun and it's something you only do once a year."

"You're right sorry Mom," They both say and then go back to decorating the tree, without arguing this time.

I grab a silver ornament and place it on one of the branches. The boys wanted a blue, white, silver color scheme for our tree this year. I really think when it's all done it will look amazing. We have a snowflake, these twisting icicle once, and regular round bulb ornaments. Once the tree is all done we were going to spray it with this apple cinnamon air freshener since it really makes it smell like Christmas in here.

Knox and Kohl are adding snowflake ornaments on to the tree when my phone rings.

"Hey Cage," I answer after checking the caller ID.

"Hey, Rory. How's the tree coming along?"

"It's looking really great so far. I'll send you a picture when it's done."

"I would like that. But um hey I was thinking that maybe you and the boys could have dinner at my parent's house tonight?" Cage sounds super nervous while asking that.

"I don't know about that," I answer back catching the boy's attention, noticing that I walk out of the room so they can't eavesdrop. "Your Mom really can't stand the boys or me."

A part of me wants to go cause I know it would make Cage happy but another part of me, a much bigger part, doesn't want to. I just don't really want to sit around a dining table with people that will judge me or my boys. Maybe I'm wrong and they won't be judging us if Cage is there but I feel like they won't care he's there and still will.

"If you or the boys start to feel uncomfortable and really want to leave just say so and we will right away I promise. I just really want my parents to get to know their other grandsons Rory."

"Fine but just this once and don't be upset if the boys give you the silent treatment. They tend to do that when they get forced to do something they really don't want to do. Just so you know the only reason I'm agreeing to this is cause I know it would make you happy." I tell him then hang up the phone without saying goodbye or waiting for him to say goodbye.

I run my hand over my face and sigh, exhausted. I'm not sure how to tell Knox and Kohl we'll be having dinner with Cage's parents.

I promise I never influenced the twin's opinion of Mr. And Mrs. Trevor, they came up with it on their own. I would never try to make them think the same thing as me. I want the boys to have their own opinions and make their own choices.
Before I walk back over to tell the boys my phone beeps from a text message.

Cage - Thank you
Read at 9:23 a.m.

Rory - You're welcome
Sent at 9:23 a.m.

I walk back over to the boys and place my phone on the coffee table.

"Knox. Kohl. We'll be having dinner at your grandparent's house tonight. Cage's parent's house."

Knox and Kohl both share a look like oh no.

I know boys.

I know.

Cause I feel the same way.

Follow/Vote/Comment