Chapter Fourteen

Just like last year, decorating your own gingerbread cookies is a big hit. They all sold out, luckily I managed to snag two to give Knox and Kohl after I get off work. It will be a fun dessert for them after dinner at my parent's house.

Plus it was their idea so they deserve one too.

My Mom called me a little over an hour ago and asked if we would stay for dinner. Since it has been a while that we stayed over for dinner I agreed. Thanksgiving doesn't count for the last time we went over, since that's a holiday. Besides my Mom is an amazing cook. I swear she's not just an okay cook and I'm saying amazing cause I'm her daughter. I'm talking so good she could run her own restaurant in New York or something. Best cook in this town, that I would bet money on.

I'm so glad my parents were supportive and not overly upset when they found out I was pregnant. I seriously don't know what I would have done without them. I would have figured it out somehow but I'm glad I didn't have to. I'm glad my boys will get to grow up and have a relationship with their grandparents.

I look around my bakery from behind the counter. Many different people are sitting at tables. Many are frequent regulars here. If I never got pregnant and had my boys I wouldn't have this. Yeah, I did love to bake even in high school but I never saw this as my dream you know? Sure they say dreams change and they're right but I don't think mine did. When I lost the option to go to college it got me thinking about what I could do. It wasn't until two years ago that I figured it out. This is what I wanted to do. Have my own bakery and make people's days better with pastries, pies, cakes, loaves of bread, and cookies. The day we first opened I just had this feeling like this is what I was meant to do. I had that feeling when I looked at the two tiny faces of my boys for the first time.

I have regrets sure who doesn't? This though and my boys? I have never regretted and never will.

I look up at the door when I hear the bell above the door ding.

Only to spot someone I haven't seen in years.

Nora Caine.

"No way Rory Williams. Well, I'll be damned I haven't seen you in ages!" Nora takes her sunglasses off and places them on top of her head.

She hasn't changed much over eight years. Still the same long black hair with caramel-colored skin and brown eyes. The only difference is her clothes look way more expensive.

"Nora Caine. What's it been eight years?" I ask her like it was a question when really it has been eight years.

"My goodness has it really been that long? And look at you. You look so much better now that you don't wear your glasses."

When I was pregnant I had a lot of time to just think. Which made me realize my friend choices were horrible. Now seeing Nora after the last time we have seen each other, I have never been more relieved that our friendship ended. Looking back now I realize she acted like she was better than everyone. Which I don't understand why it's not like she was rich. That's probably horrible to say but she really wasn't. She's from a middle-class family, whose parents worked overtime to pay for fun vacations for them. She's a lot like her mother. Mrs. Caine is very close friends with Mrs. Trevor. So she feels like she's better than everyone too, which must have rubbed off on Nora. Mr. Caine though doesn't think like that. He's the type of person who would give you a hand with your flat tire despite him being late for work. That's a true story when Quinn was still very new to the town she got a flat tire and he helped her.

"Thanks. You...um look the same."

That brought a small scowl to Nora's face but just as fast as it appeared it was gone. Making me kind of question whether I really saw it at all. She must have been expecting me to still be the girl I was in high school, with no backbone that went along with everything she and Molly said. They probably kept me around cause I always agreed they looked amazing in whatever they were wearing.

"Thank you. My daddy told me you work here and I figured I would stop to say hello." She looks around the bakery barely hiding her contempt.

"I own it actually and yeah he stops in here on his way to work for coffee and an apple turnover."

"Well, you seem to be doing quite well for yourself despite having uh...twins, was it? How are Caden and Kale?"

"It's Knox and Kohl but they are doing good. What about you?"

I try to turn and look at the kitchen door without being obvious. I really wish this conversation would end. Can't my phone ring or hers? Anything. Literally, anything that would end this conversation right now would be welcomed.

"I got married last year. To a doctor." She holds her left hand up and shows me this huge diamond ring. "He is so handsome it was love at first."

I know a lot of women would swoon over that massive rock but I think it's tacky. Maybe it's just I have simpler tastes? I feel like that ring is just a beacon that screams I'm rich rob me. Not even that though I feel like you shouldn't need a ring that huge. I bet you she brags about that ring like look how much my husband loves me he spent a fortune on my ring. I could be wrong but I really doubt it.

"Congratulations."

"Thank you. We traveled all over Europe for our honeymoon. We have been thinking about buying a house out there."

Nora continues to go on and on about the house they have been looking out, mansions of course, but I'm zoning her out. I don't know how long it's been five minutes, an hour maybe ten when Quinn comes walking out of the kitchen. I plead with my eyes for her to come to save me. Luckily for me, she gets the hint.

"Rory, can you do the frosting roses for the cake? You know how bad I am at them."

"Sorry, Nora I have to go. It was lovely to see you though."

"Okay well, maybe we can catch up some other time then," Nora says then slides her sunglasses back over her eyes and leaves.

"Oh thank goodness."

"Who was that?" Quinn asks watching as Nora gets into her expensive car and drives off.

"Nora Caine an old high school friend. I swear I have never been so happy to see you" I smack a loud and obnoxious kiss on her cheek.

"I can tell." Quinn wipes her cheek off while laughing. " I still need you to make the roses though. I can't make them remember?"

That's a lie.

Quinn is as good as me or maybe even better at making frosting roses. However, it does get tiring so she probably needs a break. Besides I kinda like being in the kitchen instead of being out here and working the counter. Quinn loves it out here better. We work really well together.

"Hey, Quinn?" She turns away from the counter and faces me.

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad your car broke down."

"Me too Rory. Me too."

Follow/Vote/Comment