XXI

Hades' point of view 

I sat haphazardly in the chair by the kitchen table, staring out at the lake through the window. Our time here was drawing less and less and I realized now why mortals found life too short. Everything seemed to pass by so quickly slipping out of reach, like sand pouring through your fingers. Up here time worked differently. 

As quick as the sun rose into the morning sky, did nightfall and darkness come. The days seemed to morph and twist into each other and the next thing I knew the sun had risen on our final day at the lake. 

Everyone would be returning home and Ella and I would find ourselves back in the Underworld. The trip to Earth was enjoyable, there were no worries of war and the future, and no responsibilities or pressure. 

Ella was still asleep, in fact, the entire house was still asleep. I had awoken early to have some time to myself to think. My father kept me busy most of the day, planning and strategizing what was best to do about the war. 

None of them seemed to satisfy my brain, instead, it kept thinking of scenario after scenario. Playing out different attacks. With every new attack my brain seemed to conjure up from the pits of my existence, I planned a defense to defeat it. 

All the planning and strategies did nothing to calm me. Instead, if it was even possible, it caused more stress. 

No matter what I thought of father would surely think of something else. Something different and new. Something no one had ever thought of or used before. 

He felt pride in the element of surprise. He had for millennials. He had done it to me as a child and would surely carry on with his tactics. 

He enjoyed seeing the shock on people's faces when he does something they had never thought of. He taunted us as children, teasing us with cryptic words and belittling us for not thinking at his level; not understanding the language only he seemed to possess and know. 

The sounds of movement suddenly fluttered through the house. Soft feet pattered their way down the stairs and into the kitchen. 

I knew from the sound that it was Ella, she seemed to be the only one that walked softly. Her family stomped around like elephants while she was as gentle as a mouse. 

It was something I was beginning to notice more and more as the weeks passed on. Her gentleness had seemed to increase if that even possible. 

"Good morning my love," I said, standing and drawing closer to her. 

I opened my arms wide and watched with a smile on my face as she stumbled her way into my arms. One hand was near her face, rubbing her eye while the other placed itself softly on my chest. 

I could feel her head resting perfectly on my chest, and in a way, I did not want this moment to end. I did not want to go back to reality and let her go. Letting my Ella wander off into danger. 

It was my fault she was in this mess in the first place, so it was my responsibility to get her out of it. Even if it were not my fault; I would still protect her. 

I held her tightly, trying to ward off the demons in the dark. She huddled herself closer to me, wrapping her arms tightly around my torso. A soft yawn escaped her mouth and I smiled at the sound. 

I sat back down in the chair, pulling her into my lap. She did not protest but simply cuddled closer into my arms. 

"Good morning Hades." Her soft voice whispered to me. 

I let my fingers find their way into her hair, running them through it gently. 

"What do you want for breakfast?" I asked.