XXII

Ella's point of view 

The underworld was dark by the time we reached the castle. Its exterior was illuminated by the moon's glow. The castle grounds were enchanting in the moonlight and I could not help but feel drawn to the flowers that decorated the edge of the pathway leading to the castle. 

I had asked Hades before we left if we could have flowers planted in the garden. I knew it was winter but I had picked out tulips to be planted. Hades had assured me that the gardeners would look after them while we were away. 

He promised that when Spring came I could plant all the flowers I wanted. I was quite perplexed at my sudden desire for flowers. I had always loved nature and flowers but something was itching at me. I wanted to plant flowers and feel the sun on my face. 

I had decided that the sudden change had to be due to the cold, Winter was beginning to get to me. 

Hades and I took dinner in our room, huddled around the fire sipping on our soup. I unpacked our stuff while he showered, before getting into the shower myself once he was done. 

That night the wind whipped around fiercely, the fire provided warmth as I lay cuddled next to Hades. My dreams were filled with flashes of Summer and flowers and everything warm and comforting; Hades included. 

Morning came far too quickly, I wanted to sleep in all day but the castle had other plans for me. The staff of the castle woke me around eight, pulling me out of bed and serving me breakfast in bed. 

Hades had awoken early and left to do some or other godly duty of his, while I was left feeling rather uselessly human. 

The castle had changed since I had left before the hallways were empty, void of any person but now it seemed to buzz. People I had never seen before passed me in the hallway, some simply hurried off to some unknown place while others seemed to stare at me. 

I did not know if it was because I had something on my face or because I was simply unfamiliar to them and therefore, by default, intriguing. 

It was only around noon when I found myself wandering the castle aimlessly, that I realized why the castle seemed more alive than usual. 

I had finished off spending the morning in the library and decided that I should go for a walk. Winter was in full force outside so I knew that a walk outside was out of the picture. Instead, I decided to walk around the hallways, acquainting myself with the twisting turns and endless rooms. 

I opened a random door and walked into a conversation between two of the castle staff. The two women had their backs on me and did not notice my presence in the room. 

"Did you see the soldiers this morning, Betty?" The younger woman asked, her voice was low and hushed. 

"Yes, they looked awfully handsome in their uniform. Don't you think?" The other woman giggled. 

"Oh most definitely!" 

"I heard from Harry in the kitchen that the soldiers have been training day in and day out," The older woman whispered again. 

"I heard from a soldier that the King has summoned all men here to fight, the war is said to be only mere months away. It is supposed to be the biggest war in centuries." 

"I never put it past the King to start a war; it was simply a matter of time before it happened." 

I wondered what she meant by her words. Intrigued with their conversation was one thing but I sure as heck was not going to interrupt to ask questions. 

"Neither would I, he has apparently found himself, someone," Spoke the young girl again.

"Really?" Asked the older woman. Her voice laced with shock and something I could not decipher.