Chapter Sixteen pt 4

Finally, Verona closed the binded sheets, realigning the stack of papers, and looked to the other demoness with a smile. "I'm sure this wasn't the only information you wanted to share about AE001."

Stiff shoulders curving again in a slouch, Mon's mind readjusted. "You're right. But I'd like to hear from you first. I can only deduce that the elf who made an unplanned visit into demon territory recently was this one here. The first rumors we heard was that he was an air elemental. But recent reports claim he's an earth elemental."

"Information sure does travel fast!"

"Vrona, is there something you're not telling me?"

The demoness huffed air out her nose. "I guess I can't hide it from you, huh? I don't think I need to say anymore for you to understand."

A battle of stares and silent conversation burned the air between them. Beside the two, the demon thought better than to say anything about the subject. And for Eial, unnerved tingles grew his skin cold and his heartbeat quickened. Another being knew, a stranger. All the warnings his mother had engrained into him as a child engulfed his mind. Instinctively, Eial grew rigid and the energy of magic grazed his hands in preparation. Except, it didn't

Before Eial could speak up, Mon's voice broke in. "AE001 is still alive."

The tactful smile that Vrona had maintained through most of their meeting instantly shattered. "What do you mean? He was—"

"They lied. They never killed it. They'd kept it preserved in a frozen state in case they wanted to do more tests in the future. But a year ago, it somehow disappeared."

"You are fucking kidding me." Vrona's fingers clawed into her scalp, shuffling the hair aside. In the next instant, her, and everyone's attention spun to the entrance of the room where knuckles had made dull knocks against the thick, metal door.

"Come out with your hands raised or we're destroying your little base," a brute voice muffled past the door.

Mon's eyes grew at the unexpected intrusion. Rapidly, she looked to Vrona, hoping for ideas to handle the situation and how to hide them, her eyebrows upturned in mild worry. Although the change in expression was small, the barely visible worry on her meant a great deal of emotion.

Or, it usually would have.

A snigger shuffled through Vrona's teeth as she amusedly narrowed her eyes on the braided demoness. "Quit the act. You think I didn't know it was you who called them?"

As soon as those words left, like a flipped switch, Mon's face instantly grew blank once more. "Truly, you know me the best."

"We are friends after all. What exactly did they promise in exchange for us?"

"Research funding."

"Selling out your friend for research. Quite the science nut you are."

"The king won't kill you, and I'm sure you'll find a way out again. As for the elf—" Eial remained in the braided demon's peripheral as her eyes pierced deep into Vrona's, almost in a convincing glare. "—you know better than anyone why someone like him shouldn't exist."

Before a word of retort existed Vrona, long fingers wrapped around the braided demoness's neck, the sharp nails piercing in. In a flash of a moment, Drokn had crossed the space between him and the stranger, unable to hear any more of the nonsense spouted from the husky voice. With his other hand, he tried to draw magic to crash into her face in his fury. However— his face turned diagonally to view his palm, completely magic-less.

Understanding the demon's observation, Eial spoke out in a hush. "I believe this is an anti-magic chamber," he said, "My magic does not work either."