Chapter Nineteen pt 1

Chapter Nineteen

Years ago, there was a well renowned researcher by the name of Vrona. Only as old as twenty-five, she had developed an extensive amount of new spells, growing in the ranks rapidly, earning rewards and fame. But, it was known throughout that she would only work alone.

Rumors had spread about this demoness having a brother who had died tragically a couple years back. No one knew of the details, but they rather lacked care as that misfortune was where this level of spellcasting progress had nurtured. Because if not for that moment, Vrona would not have buried herself in work and become the person she was, completely detached from people, focusing on none other than her work.

One day, a proposition had come to this skilled scientist. The demon king had offered liberty of resources and rare ingredients, servants, farmers, and miners to gather what she wished, all in exchange for marriage and an heir.

It was not for love that this exchange had happened. Far from it. It was purely motivational, political. And Vrona had been the king's most ideal option.

Retaining the notion that those without magic were inferior to him, a magicless wife would not threaten him or his pride. Not only for that, Vrona had garnered a great amount of reputation and social standing. Therefore, having her as the queen would not be an embarrassment, nor would he need to care that she could do any harm. Additionally, she had no interest in romance, so he would be spared any trouble.

What he could offer was exactly what she wanted. A place she can further her skills without being bothered. A place she can melt into her own world without any need for attachment. As skilled as she was, there were only so many resources she could have access to as a civilian. Marrying into the throne and having access to more so she could thoroughly become mindless— that seemed to be the blissful ideal.

Hence, the two were married in a contract of convenience.

And a year later, a small baby demon was born.

As soon as the baby had been born, he had been taken away, only to meet whenever he needed to be fed. When he had weaned, their visits grew to nothing. In every opportunity, she had rushed back to work, thinking about spells, combinations, lines, circles, far more than before. She had finished her side of the contract. Nothing more was needed from her.

So she had convinced herself.

It had been a sunny afternoon, hidden by the walls, when she had walked the corridors of the lantern lit palace and noticed an oddity on the floor, stumbling and marching forward. When the creature looked up at the demoness with his stubby nose and unfit clothes, unintentionally, she burst out into a laugh.

She hadn't seen him ever since she was no longer needed, but she could immediately tell that the babe was hers. The features more pronounced now, she curiously examined bits of herself in the child.

After picking up the boy and returning him to the nannies, she walked back to her work chamber with heavy steps, locking the door after her entrance. Immediately, she found herself trying to think of new spells, frantically writing words and designs on the scattered paper spread across her desk, standing, not bothering to even take the time to sit. Finally, her feather pen found itself intolerant of her abuse and broke, splattering ink on the meaningless sheets.

A moment passed by in stillness with her fist clenched, the very brief silence, allowing her to feel something in her heart.

But...

Slowly, she sat down on the solitary chair, took out a new feather pen, and went back to work.

When her second child had been born and weaned, she became further distant, continuing to allow the palace staff to care for the children in her stead. A mother only in name, there grew no bond between her and her children, as if they did not exist in each other's world. Almost strangers. Not allowing herself to become attached to family, she held herself devoid of deep emotions. Because attachment could mean loss, the pain and misfortune of which she no longer had the strength to bear.

The stiff branches of a windless day stretched across a large window of the demoness's bed chamber. In her nightgown, she gazed at the stillness as if time had stopped around her like it had in her heart.

Her window was at a corner of nothing, nothing to see past. She couldn't see the families in the towns, playing, eating, fighting, loving with each other. Unaware, blind of the existence of such companionship. Something like spending time with her children remained a distant fantasy, so distant she never daydreamed of it.

But times change people.

And Eial had changed her.

And somehow, years later, she had found herself in front of her first child, now an adult, washing the day away with him. An opportunity to grow closer, a new sensation of curious, ambiguous attachment.

Although, the day wasn't as smooth going as a fairytale. In their new sought training, Vrona had chosen to start off light, in consideration to the demon's sore muscles. However, the demon was not patient for slow progress and had been defiant. The first time the demoness corrected the demon on his posture, she was met with a, "Fuck off!" and was left to herself, sighing.

Though, in the distance, she saw the demon walk away until he had met eyes with the elf. With a frustrated snarl, he'd turn and stand back in front of her, hands to his hips, looking away as if the lack of eye contact would help maintain his dignity. Smacking his back playfully to ease the awkwardness, the demoness called, "Welcome back!" And behind him, where he couldn't see, she smiled warmly.

It seemed that Eial had changed him, too.