[ chapter 20 ]

Cashier guy had saved Joseph, Shelly, and me from getting grilled by the police, letting them know we were the victims. Two stayed to interview us while several others went out, looking for Dante. I knew without a doubt that they wouldn't find him though.

Cole and Mark made statements too, saying they had no idea any of this had happened. Everything had happened within the span of twenty minutes even though if felt like hours. During that, Shelly was on the phone. And I now knew Joseph was my brother.

At this point, I had no idea who to trust.

Before I left with Joseph, Cole had tried to talk to me. Understandably, he knew why I didn't want to talk and I was grateful he didn't push it.

Shelly, who hadn't experienced anything I'd just gone through, decided to go camping with the guys still. How she brushed everything off was a mystery to me. Part of me thought she was glad to have alone time with Cole finally, even if Mark was going to bet there too.

The car's lights flashed, lighting up the house as Joseph drove up. I got out before he even parked the car. Thomas stood at the doorway, creating a silhouette with the light from inside pouring out behind him. His arms were crossed over his chest, a face full of worry.

Joseph followed behind me, carrying my bag even though I hadn't asked him to do that.

The door didn't even close before I let it out. "Did you know he was my brother?" Thomas' eyes widened in shock, clearly not expecting that. He turned his gaze to Joseph who was beside me. "Did. You. Know?"

Thomas nodded his head slowly. "Yes I did."

"And you two kept it from me?" I asked, pointing my finger between the two of them accusingly.

"Nina." Thomas raised his voice. "We tried, but you never seemed ready for us to tell you. You've gone through a whole lot. More than any kid goes through." He tried to be soothing with me, but it only made things worse.

"It would've been nice to know I have a brother," I yelled, stomping my foot like a child. "I've only had you and my dad all my life. Found out that my dad wasn't supposed to die, that I have a brother, and who the hell knows about my mother."

Joseph's face fell at that exact moment. I raced upstairs before either of them could say anything. I didn't want to hear it. I just wanted the pain to stop.

*****

After I had showered, I crept down the stairs, being careful to not make any creaking sounds. Thomas and Joseph were in the kitchen, discussing what had happened tonight.

I peeked through the crack and saw Thomas hand Joseph a steaming cup of tea before sitting down across from him. "I'm glad you went after them, just to keep an eye on her."

Joseph rubbed a hand over his face, looking exhausted. "Yeah, I am too. But I don't think she was in much danger."

Thomas straightened in his seat, looking appalled. "Didn't you say Dante held a gun to her head? Threatened her?"

"Yeah, but you didn't see the way he looked at her."

His words startled me. I didn't know where he planned to go with that argument. And neither did my uncle.

"What do you mean the way he looked at her?" The words were bitter in Thomas' mouth, obvious disgust rolling off of him in waves.

Joseph sighed. "He feels guilty about what happened," he said as his thumb rubbed the edge of the mug he held.

"Didn't you say his exact words were 'I killed your father.'"

Nodding his head, Joseph takes a sip of the tea. "Yeah, but I think he was just taunting me. You heard Nina when she came in. She said Dad wasn't supposed to die."