[ chapter 45 ]

The sun was out, high and proud, holding a promise for a beautiful day as I drove to the address Gracie had given me. Jospeh, who was in the passenger seat was passed out asleep with his head leaned against the window. It'd been a long thirty six hours since Gracie had given me what I'd been searching for for a whole year.

It was just now starting to feel real. I twisted my hands around the steering wheel, my grip getting slick because of my palms turning sweaty.

Back at the house, Gracie and Thomas had given Joseph and me hugs and wished us the best. Thomas even made us promise to update him with where we were at every few hours. I could tell he was nervous for us. 

Cole had also wished us the best, telling me to call him if I needed anything. Dante on the other hand had done something unexpected. He took off the necklace my dad had given him and gave it to me. The one we used to solve the puzzle to getting to the lockbox.

The scene played out in my head like a movie. It was the first time we'd really talked in a long time.

We were alone outside. I'd finished putting my bags in the trunk of the car, waiting for Joseph to finish grabbing his things. 

Dante walked up and played with the necklace around his neck. "You should have this."

Before I could object, he placed it around my neck. "Dante-"

"Nina," he said, cutting me off. "It's yours." His gaze was intense, almost pleading. 

I looked down at it, picking up the small bar that dangled from it. "My dad wanted you to have this."

His blue eyes locked onto mine, a faint smile playing at his lips. "He wanted me to help you find the lockbox. I think that's all there is to it." 

"You don't really believe that, do you?" Dante's eyes shifted to the ground, telling me that he didn't really believe his own words. "Why? Why give it to me then?" I asked softly, not wanting to push him.

Dante picked his head up. "Don't forget about me, Nina." Before I could say a word he placed his hands on the side of my face,  caressing my cheek bones with his thumbs. 

I let a deep breath out slowly, taking his scent in and wanting to take in the moment. My eyes traced over every inch of his face. I missed this. I missed him.

"I'll be back."

Dante broke out into a smile. "You can't promise that."

He was right. I couldn't promise I'd be back if Joseph and I succeeded. 

Dante kissed my forehead gently. We sat there silently with his forehead pressed against mine before he spoke again. "I hope you find what you're looking for." His hand squeezed mine before he dropped it and turned around to head back inside.

"Turn right," the GPS voice said, pulling me from the memory.

I put my blinker on and turned the wheel. The first thing I noticed was how dainty and colorful the houses were. They were spaced out with giant yards. 

It was just a regular Saturday afternoon, but it seemed the whole neighborhood was outside enjoying the sun. People biked, ran, or worked on their yards as I drove by. 

I gently pushed on Joseph's arm to get him to wake up. He stirred for a couple of seconds before lifting his head. His body stiffened when he looked outside, realizing where we were. He glanced at me and gulped. 

I could tell he was just as nervous as I was. This wasn't something we were used to. Joseph had grown up with no family in a building full of agents. I'd grown up always running. What if we didn't fit in?

The GPS gave us one last direction before we pulled up in front of a one story house. "You have arrived," it told us.

From where we were parked, we could tell the back fence was open and that whoever lived here was working on the front yard, planting flowers. Mulch bags were piled right next to a flowerless bed.

"You think this is it?" Joseph asked, staring out the window.

I paused before answering, really hoping it was the place. "It's the address Gracie gave us."

We got out at the same time and walked up the curb together, staring at the house in front of us. Laughs could be heard in the distance as they got closer to the front yard.

"Nina," Joseph choked out.

"I see it," I whispered.

The first thing we saw was a boy, about fourteen or fifteen years old, carrying a mulch bag. There was no second guessing it. He was our dad's son. They looked almost identical. 

A lady followed shortly after, but her laugh fell short when she saw Joseph and me. The mulch bag she was carrying dropped to her feet. She looked just like the lady in the picture Lucille had shown me when I first went to her house. The one of my mom kissing me on the cheek.

"Mom?" the boy asked, glancing from us to the lady in front of him.

She smiled reassuringly at him, touching his shoulder. "It's okay Henry." Her eyes tracked back to us, briefly pausing on the car.

That's when it hit me who she was looking for. Clint. My dad and her husband.

I gritted my teeth, refusing to cry as I shook my head.

Seeming to get what I was saying, she gave a curt nod to show that she understood. She grabbed Henry's hand and led him towards us.

I pulled out the picture of us and showed it to her. "Are you the lady in the picture?"

She took it from my shaky hands, her own shaking as well as she looked at the photo. When she looked up, tears were already streaming down her face. "It sure is." Her eyes locked onto my brother beside me. "Joseph?"

He nodded his head, a smile spreading across his face.

"Nina?" she asked me as she smiled through the tears.

"Yeah," I said, using my fingers to wipe at my own tears streaming down my face. "We're home, mom." 

The End.

* * *

And that's a wrap! Hope you enjoyed and thank you for reading!

If you have any questions about anything involving the plot or characters, please don't hesitate to ask. <3