[ chapter 31 ]

"Nina-"

I climbed over Dante and sprinted to the counter where my phone sat, plugged in to charge. The images of the chain logo and random numbers were the most recent pictures in my camera roll.

Everything made sense now. The chain meant Dante and the numbers were the passcode for the tiny bar that dangled from his necklace, which was once my dad's.

A smile took over my face and I ran back to Dante, shoving the phone in his face. "Look!"

He watched me closely, an eyebrow raised like he was trying to figure out what just happened. A small smile tugged at his lips as he looked at the phone in my hand. "Nina, I have no idea what this means."

I tapped on the screen, sliding between the picture of the chain and the picture of the numbers. "This was my dad's real clue. The one Angel couldn't find. The chain is you." I picked up his hand and held it in the air between us. His hand dropped as I grabbed his necklace next. "And the numbers! This code right here has to open whatever is in that necklace."

Dante moved to get up and I stepped back just enough for him to stand, keeping my hand on the necklace. I knew it wasn't going anywhere, but I couldn't let go of it. I was so close to finding out what my dad wanted me to find.

He grabbed my phone from me so he could take a closer look at it. His eyes shifted to mine and I could see pain there.

I would've thought he'd be excited to know we were so close to getting the truth, but I could tell something was bothering him. "What is it?" I asked quietly.

"I don't understand why Clint would have clues tied to me?" The confusion he felt was clear in his voice.

"Maybe he knew you'd be the one to help?" It felt weird seeing him like this. He was vulnerable in a way I hadn't seen him before, finally giving me some insight on what was going through his head.

The expression on his face changed into realization with a mix of sadness. "Maybe, but he knew I had the necklace. He knew you needed the necklace, not me."

I could tell he was hurt by that thought. My dad meant more to him than I realized. But I knew my dad and he wouldn't have given that necklace and clue to just anyone. Dante meant something to him too. I wanted to tell him that, but I felt he would think I was saying it out of pity.

"So what did the chain me to the two of you?" It obviously meant something to them because Dante had it tattooed on his wrist and my dad had drawn it on the piece of paper.

"The chain right here is something your dad talked about all of the time in training."

He held up the picture of the chain on my phone that my dad had drawn.

"'A chain is a series of pieces of metals linked together to create a strong hold.' Your dad always said the TIA was like a chain, we were stronger together but if a part broke off, the chain wouldn't be as useful and strong as it was before. That's why I got this tattoo."

He held his arm out to me and I took his hand in mine. Something took over me and without thinking I started tracing a finger over the design. I looked up and saw that Dante's jaw was clenched. He looked uncomfortable so I removed my finger from his arm and let go of his hand.

"It serves as a reminder of what he said. I felt lost and alone after your dad took off with no explanation. And then Joseph left and I felt even more alone. I got this tattoo after Joseph left TIA, realizing Clint wouldn't have taken off unless it was for some reason. Your dad broke the chain himself and I knew there was a reason for it," he said, speaking metaphorically. "But I still don't know why."