[ chapter 42 ]

She knew I'd caught her in a trap. She was the reason I was an orphan. I was alone and didn't have any parents to care for me because of her.

It was all because of her. Mark dying. My dad dying. Me killing Angel. All of it.

"That wasn't my fault your parents took off," she seethed. There was hurt in her voice, like she was the one who felt betrayed.

"How did they find out TIA wasn't working with the FBI anymore?" I asked quietly. I needed answers and my dad never gave me those in his letter. It only gave my more questions.

Lucille gave me a look like she didn't want to get into this right now, but she did. "Your mother and father were on a mission to kill one of the people who was supposed to be the eyes and ears for my parents on their mission for the FBI. That person got distracted somehow and my parents paid the cost. What hurt the worst was the FBI kept them on as an agent even though it was them who messed up. So I waited to have the person killed last, I waited years even just so they would know I was coming for them."

"Did my parents not go through with it?" I wonder how my parents realized that person was a part of the FBI.

"Oh they did, what they didn't realize was the man who killed my parents had a family. His wife came home and saw things she shouldn't have and my daughter, your mom, killed her to keep her quiet. Then they heard cries coming from another room and discovered a toddler and baby. That's when they knew they weren't killing terrorist anymore. They stayed and watched as the FBI came in to investigate, knowing the murders they just committed were tied to the FBI and not terrorist."

I was angry at her. Angry she had made my parents do things like that. She'd made them into murders. "What does that have to do with me?" I begged. I knew the rest, my dad left with me and then my mom was killed trying to leave. Poor Joseph got stuck with her. "Why kill my dad? Why have me come visit you and then you try and have Angel kill me? Why?"

"Angel wrote the fake clue down with my number so you would call me and we could talk. After being with you for a month, I realized you didn't have the information I needed so that's why I faked my own death and had Angel come and try to kill you. I faked my death just in case Angel couldn't do her job, she always had a problem of letting her emotions get in the way. She was so full of anger and hate. But then you surprised me by killing her."

"Why let us get away from the abandoned warehouse?"

"I wanted to kill all you delinquents when we had the chance. We had you, Dante, and your two friends, but Cole mentioned to his father that you had found a letter with Joseph and it left you clues. Cole was there when you found the clue Angel left for you, but he told us to give you time to try and piece the rest of the puzzle together." She sighed, shaking her head.

So we could all be dead right now if Cole hadn't intervened.

"So, we let you go and Cole was right. You pieced the rest of the pieces together and was able to get to the lockbox. Now, I'm going to need that flash drive. Hand it over." She held her palm up and out to me, asking me to place it in her hand.

I bit my bottom lip. "Before I do, I want to know why you killed my mom."

At that instant, Lucille looked like she wanted to kill me. "I would never do such a thing."

"But you admitted to finding her body!" I screamed. My body started to shake violently. I needed this to be over. I wanted answers and she was still playing games, just like she was the first time I'd gone over to her house. She'd been playing with me this entire time. "My dad didn't kill her. As far as I know she's dead but she was supposed to make it out. His letter in the lockbox even said so."

"So you don't know?"

The air around us seemed to freeze in time. "Know what?"

"Where she is?"

At the moment, my heart seemed to tear in two. "Where who is?" It couldn't be who I thought it was.

"Your mom. She's alive as far as I know."

Everything in me wanted to fall to the floor and crumble. That couldn't be true. She's never tired to come find us. She left Joseph, how could she do that? "Why'd she leave Joseph with you?"

"As soon as word had gotten out that your father had left, your mom came running, looking for Joseph. They had expected to leave under the radar but Cole and Dante's dad had seen Clint leaving with you." Lucille had a far away look in her eye, like she was stuck in the moment everything happened. "So I said what I could to get her to stay. I told her your dad had taken off with you and Joseph, leaving her behind. Yet, after everything, she still chose your dad over me and took off. It's a curse having her be my daughter because she's able to stay off the grid without being tracked."

"Is this what this has all been about?" I asked, tears streaming down my cheeks. "Trying to find my mom?"

She nods her head slowly. "My intention all along was to bring you and your dad in so I could find your mom. But then he headed for your uncle's house after Joseph found him. I sent Dante to get you guys and then your dad ended up dying. I thought all hope was lost until Cole discovered you were alive. Joseph didn't even tell me, it was Cole's dad. Then after you came to my house, I knew you didn't know she was alive. So we let you try and figure it out, which you did since I just had to tell you. Now hand over the flash drive. It has to tell me where my daughter is."

I shook my head, more tears streaming down my face. "My dad never knew where she went. My mom and him made a pact not to tell each other where they were going."

"That can't be it. No!" Lucille's voice raised as she picked up the brick I'd thrown earlier. She aimed it at me and I ducked just in time. "Then what's on the flash drive?"

It broke my heart to see her like this, not getting the answers she desperately wanted because I desperately wanted the answers too. My mom was alive, that was great to hear. But I also hated Lucille in way I've never hated anyone else, so I had to finish this. "My dad said it was information that could bring you and all of TIA down."

She stared at me for what seemed like hours even though it was merely seconds before she spoke again. "Where is it?"

"I don't have it."

"You told me you had it!" Lucille screamed.

I couldn't think long about what she said because even for her age, Lucille was quick and was coming towards me before I even expected it. I was knocked to the ground, trying to get away, but Lucille had a firm grip on me, dragging me towards her so she could place a hand around my throat.

I clawed at anything and everything around me, my hands finding a piece of glass. "She was pregnant," I choked out, trying to buy myself time.

Lucille immediately stilled. "That's impossible."

I knew it was a long shot because she was choking me, her granddaughter, but Lucille also cared for Joseph, her grandson. "It's true, my dad wrote about it in his letter to me, the one we found in the lockbox."

Lucille's eyes darkened as she wrapped her other hand around my throat. That's when I knew I was a goner if I didn't try something.

Just then, I could see the shadow of legs moving towards us, the red light flickering as they walked towards us. The sound of a slide on a gun being pulled back told me they were armed.

Lucille looked up, shock written all over her face. Whoever it was motioned for her to get off of me and she did.

I pushed myself up, grateful for whoever it was. I came face to face with Shelly and relief washed through me. "She-"

But sadly it was cut short as Shelly raised the gun at me. "Get to the wall, both of you," Shelly said, pointing the gun at Lucille and me.

We followed suit.

"I don't understand," I stuttered. "I-"

"Shut up!" Shelly's voice rang out in the air. "I want to do the talking now."

A/N: Thoughts? 👀