[ chapter 23 ]

The sound of a car horn blared in the distance, jolting me out of observing the fruit in my hand. I looked around to see if I could see Lucille. We often did this twice a week together, going to the local street market full of fresh food had become a tradition between the two of us.

It'd been about a month since I left Thomas and Joseph. The two of them still texted me everyday and I sent the postcards with no return address almost every few days, keeping them updated with what was going on, but neither of them liked that. That much was obvious in their texts.

I guessed Lucille hadn't told Joseph where we were either because he hadn't come to get me, just texted everyday wanting to know where I was.

"Nina." Lucille's now familiar accent drifted toward me, pulling me from my thoughts.

I put the fruit in the basket I held and walked over to her. She set the bananas she was holding into my basket.

"I'm not feeling too well, I'm going to head home. Do you think you could do the rest of the shopping?" Her eyebrows pinched together like she was in pain.

I wondered if walking had been a bad idea, after all we normally took the bus to get here. I dug my hand in my back pocket, reaching for the spare change I kept there for emergencies. So far I'd never had to use it.

"Here," I said, dropping the money into her open palm. "Use this to take the bus home."

She looked relieved, her body physically relaxing on the spot. "Thank you Nina, I really appreciate it."

I kept a watchful eye on her as she made her way to the bus. I'd grown to care for her over the last month, but I missed Thomas and Joseph like crazy. She was great, but she wasn't my big brother and uncle.

She'd ask me about my dad, trying to put puzzle pieces together but I never wanted to talk about him for long. And when I asked her about TIA, she never wanted to talk about it for long either. So we were both stuck in this perpetual state trying to figure each other out while not pushing too hard. It was like a seesaw, rocking back and forth constantly.

After paying for our food, I started my walk home. The sun was out and it felt nice so I'd worn a tank top, soaking in the rays.

Sweat beaded my forehead as I put the key into the lock, turning it to unlock the door. The house was unusually dark. The lights were turned off and the blinds were shut with little light seeping through, showing off dust particles in the air. "Grandma Lucille?"

No answer. She must've decided to take a nap.

I pushed the creaking door open and shut it using my foot. The keys clanked against the counter as I dropped them. I turned around to carry the paper bag full of groceries into the kitchen, but the site before me caused the bag to slip through my hands.

One by one the the fruit thudded to the ground, creating a mess at my feet. My heart pounded in my chest as the feeling of bile crept it's way into my throat.

Red splattered the walls of the tiny living room with Lucille nowhere in site.

A earsplitting laugh filled the room, causing a trail of goosebumps to trace my spine as the hairs on my arm stood up. In the corner of the room, near the windows that faced the street, a girl sat there. Her hair was as black as night, complimenting her tan skin. She didn't look much older than me.

Her legs were draped over the side of the chair, one crossed over the other, as she twirled a knife in her hands. The tip of the blade was pressed into her index finger while she moved the knife with her other hand, looking comfortable in the seat with dried blood specs covering her face. A devilish smile painted her lips to perfect the psycho looks he had going for her.