[ chapter 41 ]

As soon as we'd gotten back to Thomas' house, silence filled the house like a cold blanket we couldn't untangle ourselves from. All there was to be heard was the sound of the creaking wood and howling wind outside.

Dante, Cole, and Joseph were all too stunned to even remember that Shelly was here before we left. And it hurt to think that Dante or Joseph had to be the one who was still working for Lucille.

I had my thoughts on who it was but I couldn't bring myself to say it out loud or in my head. If I did, that meant it was real. That it was a real possibility that he really betrayed me and I wasn't ready to face that truth.

One thing I was sure of was that I had to get away. Now. Shelly's life was on the line and I couldn't risk losing another friend. Not after what happened to Mark. He shouldn't have died and now his family will never get closure on what happened. They'll just know he was shot. Now both Mark and his dad were gone. I couldn't imagine what his family must be going through.

And that gave me all the more reason to save Shelly. She didn't deserve the same fate Mark got. Hell, he didn't deserve it. He just got wrapped up in something he couldn't control.

The three boys headed to the kitchen, Joseph leading the way since Dante held onto Cole who could barely walk. Watching his best friend get shot to death was something that would never leave Cole.

That was a feeling we now shared. I watched my dad die and he watched his best friend die. It would change him forever. I knew that because I changed after watching my dad die. Plus, the look on Cole's face was something I couldn't unsee. As soon as Mark fell to the ground, I could see the dark clouds taking over Cole's eyes. He would never be the same again.

"I'm going to check on Shelly," I announced to the three of them.

Dante's red eyes glazed mine, too focused on his brother to register what I'd said. Cole didn't even react. The only one who nodded their head was Joseph.

My stomach began to knot as I watched the kitchen door close behind them. This was my chance and I had to take it.

*****

The sky darkened around me as I stood in front of an old, two-story rotten building that looked like it was on it's last leg. Broken windows were barred up along with graffiti painted on the yellowing brick. Weeds grew everywhere, even through the cracked pavement leading up to the building's steps.

I'd texted back whoever sent me the text as soon as I'd snuck out of the house, taking the truck Dante had stolen a couple of days ago. Immediately after, I was sent a text with a location, so here I was. With no plan and no flash drive, I didn't know what to do besides show up and try to save Shelly. As far as I knew, Thomas had gotten the flash drive to Gracie. I hadn't heard from him since Cole and I left to go and try to save Mark. 

I shook my head to rid the thought. I needed to focus and I knew going in alone without any backup wasn't safe, but at this point I wasn't sure who to trust. The only thing I was sure of was saving Shelly. I couldn't let anymore innocent people die.

Walking up the steps, I pushed open the heavy and creaking door. A chill ignited my body as soon as I stepped inside. Goosebumps prickled my arms as the door swung shut behind me.

My heart started to pound in my chest as I walked through what I assumed was once a lobby. Papers littered the floor with toppled over chairs. Whatever had happened in this building before wasn't something I wanted to know about. The atmosphere screamed satanic.

One by one, overhead lights started to flicker on, illumination the hallway connected to the lobby. My sneakers squeaked as I followed the trail of lights.