1.8~ Why Are Fireworks Such A Big Deal? And Other Unnecessary Questions

GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYS FUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKK i forgot that the solstice is like what tlt is based around and its june 21st and now i have pushed this story into july and percy still hasnt returned? so we are going to ignore that and percy is going to return in this chapter and pretend thats accurate ok thanks babes xx

It was Sunday, the only day we had all free time. All the cabin heads were stressed, but it was nothing like the pure anxiety that reeked from the Hephaestus cabin. Every year, they send out a barge loaded with missile-sized rockets, which play out like animations all across the sky.

I'd overheard that this year they would take us through Greek history in the span of a crackling three hour fireworks show. The day went by quickly in terms of 'oh gods we have to prepare for this in a day' but dragged by in terms of 'I can't wait for the fireworks'. It was an annual occurrence.

In other news, the boy Percy Jackson had returned after stopping — or possibly just delaying — the war between the gods by returning the Master Bolt to Zeus. Turns out it was Ares that had stolen it, which didn't put the Ares cabin in good favor with anyone at camp. Not that they really were in the first place.

But the thing is, no god can personally take anothers' magic item. Not that Ares would care. I'd never met the guy, but if he was anything like his kids I was probably right.

Back to our first world problems: decorating the beach. Mr. D wanted palm trees and other tropical plants. After being told that palm trees don't usually grow on Long Island, he threw a fit and told me and Katie to make it happen. We should've started growing them days ago, considering the fact that we can't just spring full trees out of the ground with ease. Sure, we can do it, but so many adult trees that spread across the beach in less than two days is hardly plausible.

So we got to work. Katie brought the refreshments and I brought the volunteers. The volunteers consisted of a satyr and that one other Demeter daughter, Anna. The other girls wanted to enjoy their relaxed free day.

The satyr was nice enough. The Demeter kids were supposed to be close with the satyrs, but I'd never really talked to any of them other than small talk. The satyr volunteer was named Ichneutae. He was very loud and brash, but he could play the reed pipes like no other.

So, after about four hours, three Monster Energy's — funny, right? — and lots of frustration, it was done. The whole beach looked like a tropical vacation wonderland,m with coconuts and palm trees everywhere.

I headed to the Camp Store to grab some beach balls and other activities to set out for campers to pass the day with, when I was stopped. Andrew, the son of Apollo who ran the store most days, cleared his throat.
"It's Maddison, right? Head Counselor of Demeter?"

"Oh, please! Call me Maddy. And no, I'm not the Head, I'm more of a counselor-in-training."

"Oh. Well, Maddy, do you think you could hold the fort tonight and tomorrow? Obviously you'll get to see the fireworks at the beach, I only need you until 6 tomorrow. And there aren't activities tomorrow with the holiday, so the store is open all day," He scratched the back of his neck, blushing. "I told my girl I'd take her... yeah. Um. Well, can you? I'll be in your debt forever."

I ignored the comment about his girlfriend and nodded. "Sure thing, Andrew. Have fun with your girlfriend, I'll see you at the fireworks?"

He nodded, and I ran back to the beach with the activities. I dumped them by Katie, left her a quick explanation, and ran back. Andrew gave me a rundown on how to use the register and how to open and close the store itself.

So there I sat. Exhausted from the plants earlier, with a stinging mildly sunburnt nose. My blonde hair was falling out of its braids, so I took them out to fix. I let my curly hair fall down my back, then decided to leave it down. Perhaps I'd try something new for the holiday.