1.3 ~ I Eat Sand. Yum.

After braiding my hair and getting dressed, I even put on a little bit of makeup. I hoped no one would notice, and I went off along to breakfast. After scraping some eggs into the fire, I sat back down to the picnic table. I looked over at the Hermes cabin, but Connor wasn't looking at me. I felt a bit disappointed but brushed it off quickly.

I noticed that the Poseidon table wasn't empty anymore. Poor Percy was sitting alone, drinking a blue soda. I almost wanted to go sit with him and check up on him. He was already an outcast. Everyone was talking behind his back, even the Demeter cabin.
"Hey, guys. Let's take it down a notch, the kid's been through a lot. I don't want him to feel unwelcome." I interrupted the conversation, which had started to turn mean. A few girls grumbled, and someone changed the subject to Capture the flag and how disappointing it was that the other team had won. I was busy playing with a little plant I'd summoned to really pay attention.

We left the dining pavilion and headed to Pegasus riding. Seeing as it was a new week, our courses switched around. This week we had riding, weapon making, volleyball, and tracking skills. I wasn't a huge fan of weapon making, but I loved volleyball. I hadn't ever really played sports at my school, but here I was a volleyball master. I was a natural at tracking skills, as was the rest of the Demeter cabin. Pegasus riding wasn't exactly my strong suit. The horses didn't like me all that much. They loved the Stolls, though. I wondered if there was a bribe going on. No one likes the Stolls that much. Except maybe themselves. I would always slip and almost fall off the horse. Someone would always grab my shoulder and push me back up. It was often Connor. I tried to focus on the horse riding instead of how conveniently close the boy was. Every time, I might add.

On our way to weapon making, I stopped, looking up at the dusty, grimy window of the Big House attic. You could just barely see a green glow.
"The Oracle." I whispered to myself.
"What's that you say?" Connor came up behind slinging an arm over my shoulder. I shrugged it off.
"Nothing. Let's keep going, we'll be late." I started walking towards the Forge. He stayed in close pursuit.
"I thought you hated me, now theres a 'we'?" He flashed his crooked grin. "You're a funny one, Callaghan." He winked, falling back to walk with his brother. I heard a high-five. Shaking my head, I stayed straight on to the Forges.

•••

After weapon-making, free time, and lunch, it was volleyball. I was incredibly excited for volleyball. I had changed from my overalls to my athletic shorts. I pulled my hair up but kept a headband on as well. I couldn't let this be ruined by having hair in my face. Stepping up to the net, we were split into two teams. Luckily, the Stoll brothers were playing opposite me. Now I can really show them. I stepped up to the front, ready to play. I was always the best at spiking the ball. I got one good one in, then we rotated. I landed in fromt of Connor.
"Well, hello." He smirked. I could see what he was doing. Two can play at that game.
"Hey, there. How's this game going for ya? Not too well, by the looks of it." The instructor blew his whistle.
"There's enough time for flirting after your fourth course. Play volleyball."
I suppressed a small laugh. Connor's ears had turned pink. I decided to make it just a little bit worse and wink at him. He had to look away. I chuckled and turned my focus back to the game. I set the ball, getting it ready for one of the Apollo boys to spike. He did it successfully, but it was a bit shaky and he was surprised by his sudden small victory. I gave him a high five as we rotated yet again.

Connor still wouldn't make eye contact with me. Preparing to bump the ball, I allowed my thoughts to wander and the ball came straight down on ny head, launching me forward, directly into the sand. I heard the whistle blow and sat up, spitting out the dirt and sand from the court. I tried to wipe my face of the sand, but my dirty arm just put more sand on my face. I sighed, making sure it was out of my eyes and mouth. I got up, ready to play, but I had a sudden headache. I sat out, watching the game go by. I wished that I was still playing but I knew sitting out was for the best.

We all headed to tracking skills. Despite my natural success in that subject, it was quite boring. The time dragged by until it was finally free time. We got 2 hours to do any activity we wanted, or just relax anywhere. I usually went back to the cabin to take a break and maybe a nap if I needed it. This time around, I decided to go to the beach. It wasn't something I often did, but I liked the sun and just felt like going. After I put my feet in the water, I got bored and headed back to the cabin. I spent some time with the newer campers and talked with them about how they were getting on with everyone and if they were enjoying themselves.

Once free time was over, we headed to dinner. I was still picking sand out of my teeth. I'd gone down hard, but my headache had mostly left. I spent dinner talking with everyone, occasionally sneaking a glance over to the Hermes table. I shook my head. I still wasn't sure why I even felt this way about the boy. We were rivals, nothing more. He'd put the chocolate bunnies on our roof, and we continued the age-old rivalry. I tried to banish him from my thoughts, but I still couldn't get capture the flag out of my head. It was silly, really. Something as young and virgin as hand-holding and a small conversation. I rolled my eyes at myself.

•••

It was announced that Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon, would be going om a quest with Grover Underwood and Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena. This upset many campers, especially Clarisse. Most of us had yet to go on a quest. I wasn't too put down. I liked training, but traveling wasn't really my kind of thing. I was happy to stay at camp with my siblings.

●●●

sorry this is a short chapter oops i just have no motivation and dk what else to do with this chapter. oops 🤷‍♀️