3.9~ Family Reunion

The Gray Taxi sped down the streets, dodging pedestrians and other cars alike. What would be a 30 minute drive (excluding traffic) turned out to be a ten minute drive, including traffic.

"Thanks, ladies!" I called as they halted in front of the Empire State Building. I practically fell out of the car and tore inside. I pushed in front of other people, but considering the fact that I was a soaking wet teenager, they seemed to want to stay away anyway.

"I need to get to the six-hundredth floor. It's an emergency."

"No such thing, kid."

"It. Is. An. Emergency. Unless you want Artemis to stay missing and miss the solstice."

"You damn heroes, always barging in," He muttered. "Fine! But if I get fired for this, I'm coming after you."

I sent him a small grin and took the key card he was holding out to me.

I rushed to the elevator and — making sure no one was around — hopped inside. I slid the key into the security slot , and a red 600 button appeared. I pressed it, and waited. The elevator shot up quickly, and deposited me at the top floor. I stepped out, and emerged onto a very narrow stone walkway in the middle of the air. I could've passed out, seeing Manhattan from this height. Just ahead was a tall marble staircase, leading to the top of a mountain. But just the top. Mount Olympus, right above Manhattan. On this mountain top, there were dozens of palaces just hanging from it. White columns, everything you would imagine the city of the gods to be.

Many roads wound up to the peak, where the largest palace gleamed. I could've stood there all day, explaining to you what the place looked like, but I had a mission. The Ophiotaurus was sitting, unguarded, in the Hudson River. I tried not to run, because I figured that would be disrespectful, but I rushed past wood nymphs, satyrs, centaurs, muses, and the like. I climbed up the main road. Needless to say, it was a bit of a hike. But I made it.

Steps led up to the courtyard, and beyond it the throne room. It finally really hit me that I was in the palace of the gods, about to barge in without an appointment. If I could get inside without being blasted to bits, would they even listen to me? What was I even going to say? At least I wasn't dripping wet anymore.

I entered. Twelve thrones arranged in an inverted U-shape, mirroring the cabins at camp. Twelve giant, godly heads turned to look at this tiny human running into their room. I stood stunned for just a moment, before regaining myself. I stood up straight and walked to Zeus's throne. I knelt at his feet and bowed my head.

"Lord Zeus. I apologize for my intrusion. Truly. My fellow demigods and I have found the monster that is said to bring an end to the gods, and I have him down in the Hudson River. Is it possible to just get me a small pool of water to call him up here?"

Everyone was still staring at me. I dared not look up at anyone, or stand, or speak another word.

"You expect us to let you bring the monster that will destroy us up to the safest place in the world? I hope you have a better reason for your appearance." Zeus boomed.

I stayed down. "Yes, sir. The monster is not a treacherous one. In fact, it is a monster that has almost brought an end to you before. The Ophiotaurus. He will not harm you unless he is sacrificed. Which is why I humbly ask you to bring him here, where he will be safe. He is in grave danger down in the Hudson River. Anyone could retrieve him and bring you down in less than an hour."

I heard Zeus inhale. I knew I'd said something wrong. I braced myself for getting struck by lightning, but two voices came from behind me.

"Zeus, hear her out."