1.2 ~ A 12-year-old Kicks My Ass

Sitting with my cabin at breakfast, I was still half-asleep. Harper, a girl a couple years younger than me, was very excited about this Ares boy and talked about him all of the night before. It was funny, because I'd never really had any of that to discuss. I'd dated boys back in Vermont during the school year, but it was never something that lasted. I was always too invested in other things and didn't have enough time to give anyone the attention they needed. It didn't sit well with them, so we always broke it off. Anyways, Harper and her friend Julie were still talking about him. I acted interested, but I was thinking more about winning at Capture The Flag. I was always competitive due to my backgroundin track and field, but Capture just sets something off inside me. Demeter cabin was with the Ares and Aphrodite group against Athena and Hermes. Not all of the Aphrodite kids played, and not all of the Demeter kids played, so I didn't have a set role. I bounced around each time from scout to guard to offense.

The day rolled by quickly. I failed at Sword and Shield again. Archery was fun, but Connor kept distracting me and it got frustrating. We were on our way to lunch when we heard a commotion. I looked up to where the noise was coming from; The Big House. A figure stumbled past Thalias Tree and fell onto the ground. I wasn't sure what I'd seen, but when I noticed people going up to retrieve the person, I knew that they would survive, and I went on to my lunch. I was too hungry to even pay attention, and soon I was too busy chatting with my cabin that I dismissed the whole experience. I headed off to Climbing Wall and prepared myself for what would come next. I hadn't even tried to use my chlorokinesis since the last time, hoping I wouldn't get tired out. I promised myself that I would only use vines if I absolutely needed to.
One the satyr blew the whistle signifying that it was my turn, I took off towards the wall. I flew across the stepping stones and pushed off the ground onto the cold rock. I scampered up the side of it. With plenty of trouble, I made it past level one. I was standing on a ledge, taking a breath in between the levels. I started up again, this time almost jumping from each foothold to another. Once I passed that level, I started onto the next. This one had the falling rocks. I climbed up, rocks tumbling towards my head as I went up. I dodged most of them, and as for the ones I almost collided with, I called upon vines to swing around them.
Final level. Taking a deep breath, I assessed what was before me. More lava, larger rocks, and fewer footholds.

Damn, it's a wonder that this thing is even legal. Actually, it probably wasn't. I scanned for the nearest foothold and jumped up to it. Scaling almost all of the level, I was faced with just a few feet left, and no footholds. I knew that I had to get to the top. I'd already come this far, but I didn't have much energy left and probably only had one or two more pushes for plants. I reached up, summoning a vine and wrapped it around my wrist, hauling myself up. I slapped my hand against the top of the wall, holding it up to signify that I had reached the top. With one last pull, I got up and sat on the wall. I almost didn't dare look down at the group. Not that I'm afraid of heights, because I'm not. However, a fall from up here is not one I'd like to be a part of. The satyr nodded to me, marking something down on his sheet. Once I'd made it back to the ground, I walked over to Madge, grinning.
"Hey! You did it!" She congratulated, pulling me into a hug. I laughed, still ecstatic from the adrenaline. Both of the Stoll brothers came over to us, one leaning his elbow on my shoulder. I assumed it was Connor, but I wasn't sure. I studied them for a bit and discovered that my assumption was correct. Travis was taller.
"So, Callaghan. You finally did it. And you didn't even need my help," He teased. I reached back to my braid, trying to make sure it was still in, but he grabbed my hand.
"Oh, no," He tisked. "Too late!" He turned to me, holding out my hairtie.
"Looking for this?" He dipped into a low bow, his hand outstretched as if he were holding a platter. I tried to grab it but he took his hand away before I could get it.
"What now?" I crossed my arms.
"Oh, you'll have to try harder to get this one back. You didn't really think I'd just hand it over, did you?" They walked away, giving each other a high-five. He turned back, still walking.
"Oh, by the way, can't wait to win capture tonight!" He called, giving a me a little mocking salute before running back to his place in line with Travis.