2.3~ Well, Shit

Percy, Tyson, and Annabeth's punishment was KP. I knew firsthand how awful that was, considering how I spent a whole month on it last summer.

The campfire that night was sort of miserable, as everyone had some sort of injury. Injured people usually don't like to sing with high spirits. I sat with my cabin, in between my half-brothers Mark and Noah. They were talking to each other across me, but I didn't really mind. I was busy trying to ignore the pain in my shoulders and the shame from losing the chariot race immediately. I was also trying to convince myself that I didn't have fun with the Stolls these past four days.

I had done a fair job of it until Madge tapped my shoulder from behind.

"Ow!" I hissed, her finger tapping right at a bird bite. "What?"

"Sorry," She didn't seem sorry. "You seemed to be having a lot of fun with the Stoll brothers today. Don't tell me you're actually becoming friends with them?"

"What?" I scoffed. "You've got it all wrong. It was a purely professional operation."

Katie piped up from next to her. "Good, because you know how we feel about that cabin. Especially those boys."

Katie was still on the rivalry, and I should be too. I was, for the most part. But she avoided them completely as opposed to my arguing.

"You know I'm not friends with them. We're always arguing, if you haven't noticed."

Madge and Katie seemed to be at least a bit satisfied with this answer, and turned back to the campfire. Apparently we weren't being subtle with our conversation, and half the Demeter cabin leaned towards me.

"You mean you're not dating?" Harper said with a shocked expression.

"What?!"

"I thought for sure you'd be together, you're always teasing each other."

"And flirting!"

I stared into the fire. Could he be flirting? No, because that's how he acts with everyone. He's just a charismatic person in general.

"Are you telling me that you all thought I was dating..." I dropped my voice to a whisper. "Connor Stoll?"

My half-siblings all nodded enthusiastically.

"Oh my god." I groaned.

I was saved from any more thinking when Tantalus took it upon himself to make an announcement.

"Well, that was lovely!" He smiled coldly. "Now, some announcements about tomorrow's schedule."

He was interrupted by Percy. "Sir." He started, standing up with Annabeth. I thought they were very brave. I knew as ridiculous as Tantalus was, he had no fear of killing or punishing campers he didn't like.

"Our kitchen boy has something to say?"

I groaned audibly at the half-assed insult, but I didn't care if Tantalus heard me.

"We have an idea to save the camp." This pricked everyone's attention. As different as everyone was, we all wanted our home to be safe. The campfire turned from its boring lint color to an orange.

"Indeed," Tantalus deadpanned. "If it has anything to do with chariots—"

"The Golden Fleece," Percy stated, unafraid. "We know where it is."

This sparked much murmuring. Annabeth went on the talk about its properties and such.

Tantalus interrupted her. "Nonsense. We don't need saving."