Nineteen

Anaheim wasn't Florence. It was now very obvious to both Vanessa and Reid.

After spending two weeks exploring, eating, teaching and learning Italian, and freely loving in the beautiful city of Florence, they were back to fast-paced Anaheim.

"Are you excited to see Lailah?" Reid asked as he drove to Vanessa's parent's house.

Vanessa nodded and squeezed his hand. "Very. I loved spending time with you, but my sweet little girl." She took a deep breath to calm her emotions. "I really miss her." She prayed that Lailah wasn't upset with her for being gone for so long. It was their first time being apart for such a long time.

Reid looked at his lovely wife from the corner of his eye and saw that she was tearing up. He sighed and rubbed the back of her hand. "Tesoro, why are you crying?" He asked sympathetically. He didn't want her to be upset.

Vanessa tried to blink away her tears. She was just being overly emotional. "I-i just miss my baby," She shrugged and tears ran down her face. "I'm okay," She giggled passively. She didn't want Reid to worry.

"Oh, amore mio. I'm sorry for keeping you away from her for so long. I didn't think of how it would affect you," He felt like crap for making his beloved sad.

Vanessa wiped her tears away and kissed his hand. "No, I enjoyed our time together. It's just that I've never been away from her for so long. I'm fine now," She said sincerely and leaned back in her seat. They would be at her parent's house soon, but she still wanted to try and fit a nap in.

"If you say so, my love. What do you think about taking Lailah for ice cream before we get home?" Reid asked, but he was met with silence.

He looked at Vanessa and saw that she was asleep. "Bene, Dio. È così adorabile." (Good, God. She's so adorable.) He laughed lightly and continued driving to the Grace household.

Fifteen minutes passed and Reid was now trying to wake Vanessa.

"We're at your parent's house." He whispered in her ear and shook her softly. He didn't want to scare her awake.

When she didn't stir, he tried again. "Tesoro, we are picking up Lailah. Wake up," He said a little louder than before.

He moved away from her and sighed. She was gone.

Since she wouldn't wake, he decided to just leave her in the car while he got Lailah.

He kissed her forehead and got out of the car.

As he walked to the door, it opened and Jenna was standing in the doorway.

"Hey! Where's your other half?" She asked with a smile and her hands on her hip. "Come in," She stepped aside and Reid walked into the house.

"She's sleeping in the car. I couldn't get her awake," He explained and Jenna smirked.

Jenna eyed him and started to laugh.

She was a confusing woman.

"Seems like you enjoyed the honeymoon," She said slyly and walked down the hall. "I'm going to get Lailah!" She called out and Reid took a seat in the living room.

Vanessa was nothing like her mother. It was funny to see how different they were. Her mother was wise, yet a sarcastic joker. Vanessa was wise but reserved in almost everything that she did.

Almost being the keyword. She was feisty and bold when she wanted to be.

"Ahh! It's you!" He heard Lailah's squeal before seeing her run into his legs.

She screamed and held onto his legs. "I miss you! Where mommy? I miss her!" She babbled and rested her head on his knee.

Reid didn't know how much he missed little Lailah until now. He picked her up and kissed her cheeks. "Hello, my sweet. I missed you so much and your mommy is sleeping in the car."