Chapter Fifteen

-Nate's POV-

I can't believe I'm sat in Kaygen's car on the way to his house. Is this the same Kaygen from 10 minutes ago?

Did I steal his heart by saving his life? Somehow, I couldn't see that, maybe he thought he owed me one, but it's not like I did it for something in return.

My instincts kicked in, and of course I would save my mate, and I'd do it over, and over again if need be.

Or maybe he really is grateful, or could he actually want to spend time with me? Honestly, my mate is so confusing sometimes, well all the time really.

He drove in silence, never even looking in my direction as he kept his eyes firmly on the road, a part of me was a little scared. He literally walked into oncoming traffic because of how distracted he was, and now he's driving.

This seems like a really bad idea, but I can't help how excited I am, I am going to Kaygen's house for the first time ever.

Oh shit, this probably means I'm going to meet his parents, the people who kicked Laken out for being gay.

Okay, have to keep my anger under control and in no way could I let my wolf take over, not even for a second. I have to remain calm, no matter what they say.

Could it really hurt to jump to Laken's defence if need be, though? Probably, I feel like that could be bad for Kaygen if I did that, and I definitely don't want to do anything to hurt him.

But Laken is my future Alpha, the mate of my best friend, it would be hard not to defend him. It was like instinct, you mess with my alpha, you mess with me.

I guess I will just have to bite my tongue as hard as I can, but for the sake of everything I stand for, I hope it doesn't come to that.

We drove in silence for a few more minutes before Kaygen was pulling up to a nice, family looking home. I guess looks really can be deceiving.

Kaygen parked the car in the driveway but made no move to get out as he just stared at the house in front of him.

I was going to ask if he is okay, but he spoke first.

"Sorry," Kaygen said, but still refused to look at me. "In advance." He finished, before he finally climbed out of the car.

What am I about to walk into?

I got out of the car and followed behind Kaygen into the house, which was quiet inside. I wonder if anyone's home, maybe we got lucky and it would just be the two of us.

"I'm home!" Kaygen called out into the silence, but no response came.

Kaygen didn't seem affected by that as he gestured for me to follow him. He led me through more of the plain looking house.

The walls held some pictures, but many spaces were blank, the smears on the walls reminiscent of where photos used to hang, having clearly been removed after a long time.

I didn't have to ask to know, the photos that once hung there held pictures of Laken. They really disowned their son for something he can't control, and now they're pretending like he simply didn't exist? What kind of people are they?

Kaygen ignored it, leading me into what was definitely the kitchen, where a woman stood cutting vegetables on a chopping board.

"Mum?" Kaygen asked, catching the attention of the woman who jumped.

"Jesus, Kaygen! Don't scare me like that," her tone was harsh, and I instantly didn't like her.

"Sorry, I did call out," Kaygen murmured, looking awkwardly between me and his mum, before the woman finally turned around and saw me.