Chapter Forty

-Kaygen's POV-

I've never seen Nate snap like that before, he was always so calm and collected, the complete opposite of me, I always let the littlest of things get to me, even if I don't always show it.

I'm the reckless one, not Nate, he's the one that will stand there grinning at you, as if nobody could ever break into his perfect little bubble, but I watched it pop, something in him snapped and he was angry.

He pushed Brett up against the lockers with a strength that was anything but human, I didn't care much for Brett, his words didn't bother me because they didn't mean anything.

But to see Nate get so defensive over someone like me, is something I haven't experienced in a long time, and surprisingly, it made me...happy.

It also got me pretty defensive, I know the effects of the upcoming full moon were affecting him, which was the only explanation for why he reacted the way he did, any other day he would have handled it in his usual happy-go-lucky manner.

His identity is something he has to keep a secret though, and someone like Brett was not worth exposing himself for.

Luckily, I managed to pull him out of it before something bad could happen, I knew the moon would increase his need for me, but I didn't know it ran this deep.

The effects completely changed who he was, he was on edge, agitated and permanently holding his wolf back, it was interesting to see this side of him but a part of me felt bad for putting him through it, I really didn't know the full details.

The full moon is tomorrow, and I was intrigued to see how Nate would act today, I was also all packed ready to leave but Laken wanted some alone time with Damon before I could come over, the horny idiot.

I suppose it gave me more time to say goodbye to my childhood home, I didn't plan on saying anything to my parents, I was just going to up and leave, but in the case that they actually call the police, the thought lingered in my mind that I might actually have to tell them.

There was always the option of telling just one of them, but there was no better option for that, I still didn't want to see my dad, let alone talk to him, and knowing mum she'd probably cry and beg me not to leave, acting like she cared only when she was about to lose me too.

Not that I could bring myself to care, she had her chance, but I just can't bring myself to live like this anymore, not after I've experienced what true happiness feels like.

I walked through the empty halls of my house with nothing but distaste and bad memories, once upon a time these rooms were filled with joy and laughter, how the stupidest of things can rip that from you, leaving nothing but barren memories of a lost time.

It tasted bitter and all I could feel was the coldness that wracked my body, it made me uncomfortable, until I just wanted to get out of here and never look back.

Today would be my last day here, I already planned it out, I was ready to go but first I have school, my plan is to come back here after school and grab my shit, then I'd say goodbye to whoever was here, making sure they saw my bags, and then leave for good.

Something will go wrong, something always goes wrong, it won't come as a surprise, I'm already prepared, I just hope it doesn't turn out to be too bad.

I sighed as I glanced around once more, a shiver wracked my body before I forced my eyes shut and shook my head.

Okay, time for school. I stepped out of the house, making sure to close and lock the door behind me before I pulled up my hood, and started walking to the nearby bus stop.