Chapter Fifty-Five

-Damon's POV-

A couple of weeks had passed, and Kaygen was fitting in nicely at home with Laken, and as well as at the pack house, he surprisingly got along with everyone just as well as Laken did, and the pack happily welcomed him into the family.

Nate got to spend a lot more time at the pack house because of it and everything was smooth sailing, Laken and Kaygen seemed to instantly get back that brother/twin bond they once had, and it was both amusing and interesting to witness.

Sometimes they would argue, as brothers did, but it didn't take a lot to distract them from that.

School went by normally, with Kaygen and Nate out as well as me and Laken, though honestly none of us really cared that much, and no one bothered us much anymore anyway.

The only thing that was left to do was to introduce Laken as Alpha, and introduce him to the role properly, I may have dropped hints in the past, but it was a conversation that we haven't exactly spoke about properly yet.

I wondered how it would go, knowing my mate he will be somewhat reluctant, but I hoped I could talk him into it, or at least boost his confidence enough to get him to agree.

It would be the last part in our ritual, and I was excited for it to finally be completed, but I already knew the responsibility would put Laken off, but truth be told, there wasn't a lot he would need to do as he always had me at his service.

And if he ever had a problem with something, I would be sure to sort it as soon as possible, Laken had nothing to worry about, as I had sworn to always protect him, and as my mate it was my duty to do so.

So, I was a little reluctant to start the conversation as we arrived at Laken's house after school.

Today we were alone for a few hours, as Nate had promised to take Kaygen on a date to finally celebrate being together and getting through everything.

Nate just wanted to give Kaygen a break away from everything and honestly, I didn't blame him.

I grabbed us a couple of sodas out of the fridge and joined Laken where he had thrown himself down on the couch with a sigh.

"Does school ever end?" He moaned, taking the soda from me with a silent thank you.

"It just ended," I smirked, taking a sip from my drink.

"Yeah...for a few hours, several hours of unconsciousness and then we're back again, is this the life we're cursed to live?" He threw the back of his hand against his forehead in despair.

"Well, we graduate in a few more months," I reminded him.

"That's terrifying too, I don't know what I want to do with my life, I can't even decide what to eat in the morning, and you're putting me in charge of my own future?" He had a point, but on that point, he just gave me the perfect chance to bring up my earlier thoughts.

"Well...I have a suggestion actually."

Laken looked up at me, his body was sprawled across the sofa with his legs laying across my legs, his head slightly inclined against the back of the sofa.

"You do?" He raised an eyebrow in question, his attention suddenly entirely on me and I became slightly nervous.

"Yeah...as you know, I'm the Alpha of a small pack but sooner or later, I'll oversee a much bigger pack, and tradition goes that I am to run my pack with my mate, they shall be the packs Luna, or in your case Alpha, the gods would have us rule over and protect the pack together."

Laken stared at me for a while with pursed lips, I assumed just letting what I said sink in, but his facial expression gave me different ideas and all I did was raise an eyebrow in question.