The Essential Bride (1)

I posted this late last year originally, I made it private while I continued on the story to edit it and fix major errors. The comments helped show me where a lot of questions and concerns were and I hope you enjoy it. :) Katie.

*********************

                My head was swimming as the alcohol finally began to take effect. I may have been dragged here by my best friend, but no one was having a hard time pouring alcohol down my throat. The underage drinking scene was never a problem for me, I blended in fine with the right looks and right friends, it just sucked that tonight was my only night off this week and Stephanie had dragged me to Lilly Marden's Halloween party.

            Lilly's house was massive, as if designed to house this many drunk teens. She was having a hard time keeping everyone under control, and after a while had given up entirely.

            "Want another?" Bruce, a junior and a year younger than me asked. Not waiting for a reply he grabbed my empty red solo cup from my hand and replaced it with another one that was filled to the brim. I smiled in a sign of thank you, and with his eyes intently on me brought it to my lips and pretended to take a sip.

            "It's pretty strong." I lied, having no idea. I was just guessing that this kid was trying to get me drunk and I wanted no part of it. I didn't work at The Pink Panthers Gentleman's Club for nothing. I'd been trained how to act like I was drinking when in fact drinking on the job is grounds for getting fired.

            "I'm sure such a pretty girl can handle it." Bruce's attempt to flirt with me made my skin crawl. It was almost painful the lack of interest I had for him, or for any guy at this party. They were all stupid kids who thought this was the life, drinking, smoking and partying. I secretly all hoped majority of them would look back on their teen years with regret, as they stood in their crappy little houses, with their crappy little families still in this hellhole of a town.

            "Well I try-" I giggled, suddenly being pushed from behind by a wild drunk dancer. I reacted more than necessary, dumping my drink of the expensive looking carpet and my cheap pink flats from American Eagle.

            "Hey guy! Watch where the f*** you're going, you just knocked into my girl." Bruce jumped to my defense and that was my cue to leave.

            "Oh Hell, I got some on my shoes, I really need to try and get this out. I love these shoes." I insisted, not making eye contact with the disappointed guy and rushed away from him through the massive crowd of party goers.

            All the rooms were packed with kids, bumping and grinding to the beat pumping from the giant speakers strategically placed around the house. It didn't take much effort to get out of Bruce's line of vision. I picked up someone's random empty beer can, hoping this would deter anyone trying to offer me another one.

            "Demi! Demi!" Nicole, Rose and Carly screamed for me across the dining room. I smiled widely at my friends, but even intoxicated they saw right through it.

            I shoved through kids to get to them, "Stephanie made you come here didn't she?" Carly asked, and I rolled my eyes sarcastically.

            "You know her, anytime for me to be a normal teenage girl, she jumps to it." I reminded them.

            "Well you are always working at that diner in Londonderry, between that and school..." Rose dragged off and I shrugged. They didn't know that my true job was dressing up as different fantasy characters, maid, cop, mechanic, and waited of tables full of middle aged horny, lonely men. No one knew, it was my little secret and I would take it to the grave with me even years after I stop working there.