The Essential Bride (6)

I had left the school parking lot hours ago, and the sun was setting. I figured my best bet was to disobey this stranger. Leon had told me specifically not to continue working at The Pink Panther, and for the past week every time I had gone there, he had been there. I had to see him again, I had to tell him off and throw the Jetta keys in his face. I wanted this car, but I wanted to earn it as well.

The night started and ended without a hitch. I worked my usual five hours, got hit on by middle aged men, and was completely in my own world. Everyone seemed to notice that I wasn't really paying attention, but didn't point it out until I was wiping the makeup off my face.

"Hey Ankle Biter, saw your new car in the parking lot. Good for you. I'm glad that group of guys paid you well." Tiffany said, offering me a high five I didn't take.

"It wasn't a group of guys, it was one man." I pointed out to her and she made a face.

"Maybe you only noticed one man, but I peaked in, there was at least ten other guys. It's good you focused on just the bachelor though. Let him get his money's worth before he ties the knot." I felt like I got punched in the stomach. How did no one witness this man? I had spent the entire night watching for the odd sensation I got when he was around and watching me, but it never happened.

Outside in the parking lot a thick layer of snow covered all the cars. I knew it would be gone by morning, the weather was still too warm to let any of it stick. All the girls were giggling at a piece of paper stuck to my windshield.

"Someone got a ticket because they didn't know this car was someone who worked here." One of the girls pointed out, all of them loudly cackling in our empty back parking lot. "I'd fight that till the cows came home."

            I didn't want to point out to the girls that I couldn't exactly fight a ticket received for parking in the employee only parking lot at my age, considering it was a strip joint, because it seemed like old new. Yet as I approached my car, I noticed, it wasn't in fact a ticket, and I grabbed it before they could inspect it. "I'll take care of it. You girls have a good night." I let the dome light illuminate the car, and watched as all the girls drive away to their homes. Oddly the inside of my car smelled like a sweet musk. I opened the paper slowly, my heart beating faster than it should be.

'Ma Cherie,

            I noticed that you disobeyed my wishes, and I wish you didn't feel like you had to do that to prove a point. The car was a gift, and will remain in your control. I only hope you know that I am always watching to keep you safe. Your Mother leaves you alone far too much, but never fear. I will see you soon, but until then never fear.

            With Care,

            Leon xxxx'

I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what to say to make sense of this. He was like a shadow in my life and I didn't know how to get rid of him. Why me? Why was he surrounding my life with his presence? I didn't know who this Leon fellow was, determination struck and I knew I would be finding out.

****

"So how exactly are we celebrating your eighteenth birthday? Because I know that we are not just passing it by like just another day." Stephanie stated, placing our latte's in front of us. We were at the Starbucks a town over, and I sighed heavily. "Don't be like this. You've been in this funk for over two weeks now, your birthday is in a few days, so stop with this attitude, and be happy!" She demanded angrily. I frowned.

"I'm sorry." I said for at least this hundredth time.

"Don't be. Obviously you can't help how you're feeling, but I just wish you felt like you could tell me. You know that, don't you? That you can tell me anything? That there shouldn't be anything you're scared to tell me because it doesn't matter, I'll always be your friend. I'll always love you Demi." Stephanie stared deeply into my eyes, and the weight of all my lies crept up again. It was getting harder and harder to pretend that it didn't suck to have to lie to her, but I just couldn't tell her that for the past two years I've been lying to her about where I go every other night, it couldn't be done.