The Essential Bride (27)

I was facing away from the window, staring at the wall watching all the shadows dance as the sun started to set around Margaret's Manor. Laying here all alone reminded me of when I first got to this place, and how sad and empty I felt. I hadn't felt that way here in awhile, and I didn't miss it.

I couldn't stop thinking about everything that just happened with Leon. I couldn't let myself out of bed, I couldn't let myself move. My head was spinning, and my heart was aching. I didn't want to think about it anymore, I didn't want to cry anymore, but none of those things were stopping.

Leon lied, I didn't sign a contract to move away with him, promising to be with him, all to save my best friend. None of this was to protect Stephanie, it all unknowingly was to protect me. Now I had the decision, I could become like Leon, and try to be with him or I could die. He was right, those were always my only options but I didn't know I had such little time to make my decision.

Did I want to become a vampire and forever be tied to Leon?

But most importantly, did I want to die?

The very simple human side of me was screaming no, I couldn't outrun death, I couldn't convince it, him, whatever to simply not kill me. I had to decide. I didn't know the first thing about vampires, how could I decide to become one?

I lost my family, my friends, anyone I ever knew in my life besides the ones I had met within the last few months. Were they worth potentially living for an eternity with?

Leon would be, a little voice in the back of my mind said and I hugged myself a little bit tighter. Since the kiss, the small voice that told me maybe Leon wasn't terrible had only gotten louder.

What was I going to do here now?

There was a knock on the door, and I didn't answer it. I heard it open, the last person I wanted to see was Leon. He was the one who left me crying in this room, I didn't need to talk to him right now.

"Hello," came a sing-song voice, the voice of Margaret. "Sorry dear, not trying to be rude. It is my home though" she said in her soft voice. "Leon told you." She stated, no question in her voice. "You have to admire his courage."

I couldn't help it, I rolled my eyes. "Yeah. That's why he tricked me into leaving the only home I've ever known, lied to me the entire time, and roped me into becoming... what you are." The venom in my voice coming out thick and noticeable. Maybe before I found out I was already dead to anyone that mattered I wouldn't have been so rude and vocal but at this point I don't think it mattered.

Whatever reaction I thought Margaret was going to give me for basically insulting her kind, uncontrollable laughter wasn't what I expected. "I enjoy you to death Demetria. So stubborn, such a beautiful, strong minded..." I shuddered at her words, to death. "Poor choice of words, my apologies but my words still mean something Demetria. Just like Leon's do."

I didn't understand what she was getting at, so I sniffled and remained silent.

"He's trying Demetria, which more than I can say for you. Leon didn't do things right by you, he will spend an eternity regretting how he got you here with him, but he will never regret meeting you. He has you now and he tries with you." I ignored her, I didn't want to listen to what she had to say.

"I had a man in my life, Adrian was the man of my dreams, to put it lightly. There was no where we wouldn't go together. We traveled this entire world hand in hand for hundreds of years. Has Leon explained mates to you?" She didn't wait for a reply, "I'm assuming partially? Like the fact the other person completes you, fills you in a way no one else can. You can feel them coming from miles away, they make you view the world in a brighter, new way, something unexplainable." I remembered Leon telling me that she lost her mate.