12

Video Games - Lana Del Rey 

They say that the world was built for two. Only worth living if somebody is loving you. An' baby, now you do. 

HARRY

A week went by. Then another week went by, until two weeks and three days went by and I was finally released from the hospital. 

I never thought this day would come. I was beginning to drive myself stir crazy sitting in that hospital bed. There is so much a man can take. There were too many overly friendly nurses, too many overly flirty nurses (female and male), and too many pieces of meat that tasted like cardboard and was the texture of sand. I was ready to get out of there. 

Dr. Leung had this ridiculous thought that I might not be healing well. Apparently, my body wasn't taking too well to the drugs that they were pumping into my system. Each time they tried something new - either it be doubling my dosage, or giving me another type of pain medication, my body decided it wasn't having it any more. The first round of morphine I had an allergic reaction. They then switched it to another type of pain medication that I can't even remember the name of. It had too many a's and too many o's and not enough relief. 

Then, there was the issue of my constant state of nausea. When the gravel wouldn't work, they switched to Ativan. Once the good old doctors realized that yes, my body will accept this form of medication, they pumped that shit through me until I was seeing stars. I've never been more thankful for drugs in all of my life. There's something completely unsettling about wanting to puke every twenty minutes. 

As I was leaving the hospital, a petite nurse stopped me. Rosalie had been assigned to nurse me the last week and a half. She made it her goal to constantly check on my vitals and switching my IV's. She was overly nice - as were all of the nurses in this godforsaken hospital, but a bit rough around the edges. She had an air about her. Not once did she put up with my shit and constantly called me out. She was young... not much older than I was. 

"You're leaving today?" She asked as I hobbled my way through the lobby of floor 5C. Her light brown hair was pulled back into a loose braid with green eyes hidden behind black framed glasses. "I thought we were keeping you around long time." 

"Nope. Looks like you all got tired of me and I finally got the boot," I tell her, as I lean my body against the nursing station. It was too tiring to walk given that I'd been laying in a hospital bed majority of my days and nights. It was nice to finally get up and stretch my legs. 

"Thank God," she quips back. "We'll miss your sour attitude and sarcasm around here. Such a breath of fresh air, you are." 

"I'm sure you will." 

She finishes writing something down in a file before closing it up. She folds her hands on top of the desk, her eyes finding their way to me. A small smile quirks at the edge of her lips. 

"It was great being your nurse, Harry. Thank you for not driving completely mad." 

"You'll miss me," I smirk. 

"Unfortunately." 

Conversation with Rosalie was easy and just for a few minutes I was able to finally stop thinking about Isabella. As much as I didn't want to stop, the guilt of everything that I've done was becoming too much. I didn't want to move on. I don't know if I ever could. I love her too much to do so. But pretending that we would ever get back together... that she would ever want me back after all that I've done... had become tiresome. I was exhausted and sick. A distraction from it all was what I needed. It was what I always needed. It was the only way I knew how to move on and to forget.