The Work Never Ends

Leah made her way into her newly renovated recording studio, led by Belle's guiding arm. It still smelled fresh with paint and new scents she wasn't quite used to, yet held so much possibility. This was where she would be working for the next few months and if it shaped up well enough, perhaps years to come.

She hadn't been in Athens very long, nor did she know much about the small town even though she'd asked her parents about it in the past, but everything she'd learned she loved. It all made Leah want to stay there forever, creating a new kind of warmth in her belly that grew greater and greater each passing day. Something about the location was just so alluring and she wanted to explore every little place the area had to offer that made her feel so much. Safe. Warm. Sometimes even adventurous. At peace and ready for anything the world hurled her way.

"So, are you sure that you want to record here? The publishing company would--"

"I think here is perfect. I've always wanted my own studio." She let Belle put her hand on the chair and got settled. "Plus, why have the room renovated if I wasn't going to use it properly? This is more cozy and I'm hoping I can maybe use it for the other novel as well. You wouldn't mind that, would you?"

"Why are you asking me?" Belle chuckled and she heard her sit in another rather squeaky chair in the small room.

The only downside to new things was that irritating screeching everything seemed to make with the slightest bit of pressure. It'd be gone soon enough though and Leah had something much more interesting to quench her excitement. She ran her fingers along the book in her lap and bobbed in her seat ever so slightly as the story she'd read for a third time for practice last night ran through her mind.

This was the closest she'd been to a story in quite some time and she started her trance-like worrying yet again on if she could truly do it justice or not.

"You're only doing one of my novels anyways."

Drawn back to the present, Leah lifted her head and tried to clear the fog from her mind, finally replying with, "True, but I want to always remain as authentic to the characters as I can and enjoy my job.and I hope you'll let me narrate your future projects as well. Bit of wishful thinkin'. I also think I will be able to do that best here. This place is...kind of magical. And, back to my previous point, I know you're considering doing a series. Or at least one more book after that second one, right?" Belle chuckled and Leah unleashed her smile, hoping it would coax out the answer she wanted. "I mean, there are a lot of stories you still have left to tell...right?"

"Ruthie really doesn't know the meaning of secrecy, does she?" They shared a laugh, then Leah felt Belle's hand on her thigh. She tapped it several times and Leah listened to her stand once more. "I won't give you what you're looking for no matter how much either of you ask. You'll know when I'm ready, hun. Until then, speaking of things Ruthie can't seem to keep to herself, I hear you're not a big fan of the city?"

"Not particularly, but I couldn't afford to leave until now. And now that I'm here, I don't think I'll ever want to leave again." Leah ran her fingers along the book in her lap and grinned.

"You were born around here, right?"

"Yes! So, when I heard you lived here, I was just so excited! I'm used to accommodations being offered to me, but never really accepted them..." She felt herself flush with vivacity. "Until now."

"You want me to leave you to it, then?"

"Only if you really want to leave. I want to make sure I do your book justice."

"As lovely as that truly is, and believe me I also very much enjoy your voice, I may have made plans with Ruthie when you told me you didn't necessarily need me..." Belle's habitual shuffling in place started and Leah chuckled. She figured if she could see her it would be something she'd find amusing time and time again. "I'd hate to cancel, but if you absolutely need me..."