Something Old, Something New

Leah listened from the end of her driveway as Ruth ran up behind her, calling for her to slow down and sending her into upheaval. She wasn't going to get the privacy she wanted for quite some time. Rather than seclusion, she just felt like now more than ever, perhaps having her own space to move and grow was what she needed. After the trainwreck of her last relationship and moving her life to somewhere she hadn't been since childhood, she felt something needed to change about herself, her life, but she wouldn't be able to figure that out if Ruth and Tommy were tailing her wherever she went.

It wasn't that Leah felt ungrateful for them. They were always looking out for her, always wanting to make sure she was okay physically and mentally, but this time she wasn't sure she could tell them if she truly was or not. As much as she loved them, Leah knew figuring out who she was, what she wanted and what she needed to make happen for herself were all things she had to do on her own.

"Hey!" Ruth exclaimed between gasps for air as she made it to her side. "God, you're moving fast today. Want to join me and head over to Belle's? She said she just baked cookies!"

"I think I need to go on a walk and think about a few--"

"Then, I'll join you." Ruth hooked her arm through Leah's, but when she didn't start walking with her, she finally fell still. "What...?"

"Ruthie, do you ever feel like you need to figure out just what the hell you're doing with your life? Like...you need a purpose?" Leah rubbed along her neck and sighed. "I don't know what I'm feeling lately, but I know I want more. I just don't know what more means."

Ruth was uncharacteristically silent for a while before she finally replied, "Maybe you should go on your walk alone. Clear your head and really figure out what you need." She gave her arm a few pats, then let her go. "This place has a way of bringing clarity to the mind, yeah? So, take advantage of it. Go explore and I promise I won't follow you. I know you need some space lately."

"How did you...?"

"You're my best friend, Leah. I know I made things weird by getting drunk and acting like a prick, but that doesn't change the fact that all I want is what's best for my best friend." She kissed Leah's cheek and she heard her quick retreat. "Have fun. And by the way...the neighbor is in her workshop again." Ruth chuckled and Leah felt her face heat. "You know, the one you said was adorable. Maybe a new friend is exactly what you both need."

Before she could reply, Ruth was gone, the front door of their home opening and closing in the distance. Leah turned back in the direction she was walking earlier and heard the faint tones of gentle music playing from the next property over. There's no way it can be that easy, Ruthie. But thanks anyways.

Leah couldn't lie. Trin popped into her mind quite often after her heroism was shown in stark contrast to just how timid she always seemed. Still, that didn't mean that--

"Oh..." She heard from in front of herself. Someone shuffled their feet and Leah waited for what may come next, but the person remained silent and something gently tickled her nostrils. It told her exactly who was there. Speak of the devil.

"Trin?"

"Hmm...? Um, y-yes..?"

Leah stepped a bit closer, but heard her scurry back. She tossed her hands into the air. "It's okay Trin. I'm not--"

"Why... Why d-do you keep c-calling me that?"

Leah took one more hesitant step forward, hearing a curiosity in her raspy voice that wasn't there before. "Calling you Trin?" Another step, and this one was met with her neighbor actually staying in place. Leah smiled and added, "I like nicknames. Your name is really beautiful, though. Much better than Leah."

"I...wouldn't s-s-say that."

Leah knew she had to be beaming, but she didn't care. "Thank you, Trin. So, how has your day been?"

"M-My day? Uh..." Something shuffled and clanked open. Soon, Trin was stepping closer to her and Leah gulped as she smelled something heavenly woody in the air. "It... It's been b-busy. Here, y-you go, ma'am."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Y-Your...m-m-m..." Trin grumbled and Leah heard her making her retreat.

Before she had a chance to say anything more, she was gone. Leah rubbed the back of her neck, and then folded her walking stick, placing it in her pocket. Trin was such an odd duck, which was something Leah was sure she knew herself, but also something she pondered over after their last encounter. Was this the real Trin, or was it a defense--

Footsteps could be heard approaching her as she reached out trying to find the mailbox. Leah turned her head towards them and heard more grunting. It had to be Trin, but why had she come back?

"Are you okay?" Leah asked, extending her hand toward the sounds.

Trin caught her arm and Leah cleared the strange lump in her throat that threatened to send a heatwave through her body. What the hell? Trin's touch was soft, yet still somehow affirming. However, what really caught Leah off guard was how much her fingers trembled and the sensations her calluses rubbing along her skin sent up her arm.

Trin trailed her hand down to Leah's and placed papers into it. "Y-Your m-m... Your m-m-m..."

"Mail?"

"Yes." Trin let her hand go, but before she could run away this time, Leah wanted to get something out.

"Are you alone most of the time, Trin?" It just spilled out and now there was no taking it back.

"Um... Yes...?"

"Would you...mind the company, tonight?" She heard Trin take a few steps back. "I mean, ever since I heard about your line of work, I've been curious. I'd love to know more if you--"

"No." Trin didn't retreat any further, but she also didn't sound particularly inviting. Leah figured it was probably due to all the random popping up her family did and was about to propose they meet a different night, but Trin beat her to the punch. "It's jus-st, my worksh-shop is my favorite p-place. And my line of work really is-sn't that interesting, s-s-so you'd probably be bored. And I don't th-think--"

"Trin?" Leah interrupted and waited for her to stop rambling, interlocking her fingers in front of herself as the urge to touch threatened to take them over. "I'm telling you that I find it very interesting. Okay? Don't sell yourself short." It was too quiet around them for far too long and Leah knew she'd overstepped her bounds. She took a step back and smiled once more. "Anyways, the invitation still stands for any time, I guess. I'd love to be a friend to you, Trinity."

Leah pulled out her cane and as soon as she turned around, something new and surprising came from behind herself, making her heart race. "I wouldn't...m-mind that either..."