Chapter One

Cassandra

It was almost midnight, but I could still hear the noise coming from downstairs. I intended to tell them that I failed one of my subjects, but in today's situation, where they are at odds, I knew this was not the right time. Because of my curiosity about their heated discussion, I went to the side of the wall where I could clearly see them below in the living room.

Dad was sitting on the sofa, both his elbows on his knees, and his two hands on his chin, while Mom was standing in front of him, her hands on both sides of her waist.

I leaned against the wall and listened intently to their conversation. "For god's sake, Samuel! They won't stop if you don't report it to the police!" I was almost deaf to Mom's screams. Now I knew what they were talking about - probably another threat to Dad's business.

This wasn't new; Dad often received such threats, and I didn't understand why he didn't take action. He usually just assigned me a bodyguard, which I disliked.

"What about our daughter, Cassy? All her life, she has never felt like having a quiet and peaceful life. She is always in danger! I never dreamed of this for our daughter; I can't sleep at night thinking about what could possibly happen to her," I heard Mom sobbing, so I peeked at them. Dad hugged her and stroked Mom's back.

"I've already thought of something for our child's safety. Don't worry too much; our child won't be harmed. Nicolas will keep her safe," Dad said.

My forehead suddenly twitched. Who's Nicolas, and why the hell is he supposed to keep me safe?

"What do you mean?" Mom asked in surprise.

"Nicolas will be her future husband. I already arranged for her to be with him to keep her safe, and Nicolas agreed to it."

What the fudge!

That happened two weeks ago...

I sat quietly in the car, listening to their conversation. I'm in the backseat while Mom is on the passenger side, and Dad is the driver. Today, I'm meeting my fiancé together with his parents, whom I know nothing about except that they are business partners of my parents.

I wanted to reject this idea, but I couldn't afford to. They said it's for my own safety. I agreed even though I wasn't sure what my life would be like, especially since I was a student with no knowledge of marriage or housework.

"Don't worry, Cassy. You'll be safe in the hands of your fiancé. You'll be safe with the De Lucas," Dad assured me, staring at me in the mirror. I sighed and looked out the car window. I didn't want to hear about those people; I felt like disappearing from my seat.

"Cassy, you'll be good there. If something happens, just call us, but I know they will protect you; they would never hurt you," Mom said from the passenger seat.

I just looked down at the window. Can they stop talking about the De Luca family? I always feel like our family is smaller than theirs, and they can't take care of me or protect me from bad people.

Earlier, I was nervous as we left home, and as we approached their house, my nervousness only increased. I don't know their family, and that thought makes me want to run and hide. I feel like I don't fit in with their family. I feel like the family we face is not just casual.

Sometimes I think, is it right for me to do it? Was this the right decision I made? Why did I end up here?

"We're here."

My mind stopped when Mom spoke. I turned outside and saw a large gate in front of us where Dad's car stopped.

Gate, I just thought that they're not ordinary people to live here. This is such a place.

Someone approached us, and because of his attire, it said he is a guard. He talked to Dad for a while before the gate rang loudly, and at the same time, it slowly opened.

I thought a large mansion would open up for us, but that was not what I saw; instead, a wide road appeared. I felt like there is a race of vampires living here. Their house is so hidden that they need a big gate, a wide road, and a few more meters before they can reach their house.

The vehicle began to move towards the gate. "Dad, am I safe here?" I asked.

"Of course. Why did you say that? I know the De Lucas. They are kind and good people. I know you'll be fine here."

"I trust you, Dad."

He smiled at me in the mirror before continuing to drive.

So, this is it. Good luck to myself.

______

Don't forget to vote and comment guys😊